cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marking on Silver Metal Hammered Teapots

Could use some help on identifying these marks on these cool art deco silver hammered teapots.  One is a one cup and the other is a 2-3 cup.  Looks like it is Asian, but not sure what the "AIII" and "N4" mark are on the bottom.  They are silver and you can see the flux and weld marks.  They were very tarnished, but when cleaned up could see that they were silver.  I have taken pictures for you to view. qJ3yUAWvSve0ZbfAEiQLMA.jpgcfUl7Ng4SgWcSA1aZdUzQw.jpgdo8Lzt7pQoao3upFx1139A.jpgXBwbqUxhS9m2Q7LREvplHw.jpgfullsizeoutput_3393.jpeg

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Marking on Silver Metal Hammered Teapots

the small one is very secure.  not loose at all.  The bigger one has some give, but the ends of the bakelite are very secure because of the little nails that are in them.  There are one on each side.  See image. 

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Yes, they are pretty secure. 

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@lismil_msdezal9d wrote:

They look silver to me, but only because I can see them up close.  I have other hammered aluminum pieces, but these look a bit different.

How about the weight? Aluminium is light compared to silver.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

All I can say is that the hammered part looks like aluminum and the smooth bits look more like chrome.  Is that even possible?   Or is there such a thing as hammered chrome?  

I'm not saying they aren't silver, mind you.  I'm just working with the idea that it seems odd that silver, even silverplate, wouldn't be marked as such on these snazzy pieces. 

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

I know, I am so baffled by the marks because I have looked everywhere.  I am usually pretty good at research, and I don't normally buy things not knowing the marks or finding some other references to the marks.  But these pieces looked very special to me in their tarnished condition.  I just loved the design, and really enjoyed cleaning them and seeing them come to life.  I wish I knew what they were, who made them, where they come from, etc.  Would you all classify them as Art Deco?

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

Now, in that photo, it looks more like silver.     I'm just not being much help to you, I'm sorry to say, because I do agree with you that these are special.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Since there seems to be a hang up about the silver question just take them to your local jewelry store and get them tested.

If they were cast the top surface could be buffed leaving the interior of the rounds unbuffed.

Could be that there were cork spacers for the handles which have rotted away.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

I have compared it to other silver objects that I have and it really does look like silver, but like you say, I may need to get them tested.  

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

There may have been spacers, as in all my hunts I remembering seeing similar handles like this with spacers at a few estate sales, so maybe they did rot away.  Even though the handles move a bit . . . they are very secure because of the silver nails in the bitlite handles. 

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

I still think they are polished aluminium. Just like the restored and highly polished vintage Airstream trailers. Those just aren't silver marks.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

We'll I'm going to jump in on this.

To me they look to be late 20th century Middle Eastern silver plated over brass or highly polished white brass, looking at the bottom is a tiny indentation in the center where the item was held in a lathe.

You'll find out a lot more info by taking these items into a jewelers for tested, I could be way off.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

@lyonspuppy wrote:

To me they look to be late 20th century Middle Eastern silver plated over brass or highly polished white brass, looking at the bottom is a tiny indentation in the center where the item was held in a lathe.

You'll find out a lot more info by taking these items into a jewelers for tested, I could be way off.

Anything is possible, but the design and the Bakelite handles don't say "late 20th Century" to me, and the markings in the Latin alphabet don't say "Middle Eastern" to me. 

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@lyonspuppy wrote:

Anything is possible, but the design and the Bakelite handles don't say "late 20th Century" to me, and the markings in the Latin alphabet don't say "Middle Eastern" to me. 

"Silver-plated over brass" would account for the discoloration/tarnish, though. Aluminium is protected by its oxide layer, and I wouldn't expect it to look as bad as it does in that photo. (Although I have no answer to the question as to why, in that case, it isn't marked as silver plate).

Message 28 of 28
latest reply