cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marking on Silver Metal Hammered Teapots

Could use some help on identifying these marks on these cool art deco silver hammered teapots.  One is a one cup and the other is a 2-3 cup.  Looks like it is Asian, but not sure what the "AIII" and "N4" mark are on the bottom.  They are silver and you can see the flux and weld marks.  They were very tarnished, but when cleaned up could see that they were silver.  I have taken pictures for you to view. qJ3yUAWvSve0ZbfAEiQLMA.jpgcfUl7Ng4SgWcSA1aZdUzQw.jpgdo8Lzt7pQoao3upFx1139A.jpgXBwbqUxhS9m2Q7LREvplHw.jpgfullsizeoutput_3393.jpeg

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Marking on Silver Metal Hammered Teapots

Could the small teapot be a Sweden Dating Code from 1795 "N4"? I posted two pictures.  One from a website that does international silver hallmarks.  The other one is the pot before I cleaned it. Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 1.31.03 PM.pngVCiyrHgWQ3irW69akv7QtQ.jpg

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

@lismil_msdezal9d wrote:

Could the small teapot be a Sweden Dating Code from 1795 "N4"?

It is a fabulous design, but not 18th century by any stretch of the imagination. In any case, N4 = 1843 on that chart (not that it's from 1843 either).

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Are the handles Bakelite?  They appear to be.  If they are, that and the designs make me date them to sometime between 1910 and 1950, with the 1920s-30s likely.    They are very nice!

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

The plastic (bakelite?) parts are evidently original, so they can't possibly pre-date the 20th century. But I personally think they are great.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

My turn to cross-post laughing

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

And, you know, my first thought on seeing them was "hammered aluminum," to fit in with the plastic handles and the overall look.  I agree that they're great.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

What is going on with the handles? Did they shrink or are they bad replacements? See how loose they are in the mounts? 1/8" / 1/4" gap between the material and the metal of the teapot. That is the last place you want movement with a pot of boiling hot liquid! Something is up there.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Also the finials are totally different. Could these be Slavic? I think they are aluminum.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

What is going on with the handles? Did they shrink or are they bad replacements? See how loose they are in the mounts? 1/8" / 1/4" gap between the material and the metal of the teapot.

Interesting point - perhaps they are more secure than they look? The questioner will maybe let us know if the handles are shaky. Also if the teapots are heavy or light to lift.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Thank you.  I read the chart wrong.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

You wouldn't normally expect an aluminium teapot to show that amount of discoloration, but it could be some type of alloy. OP will obviously want to test for silver before trying to sell it.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Yes they are bakelite.wTghDufQTtajs9av1XSicw.jpg+yVJj%XdRrSax1jTUzHENw.jpgXBwbqUxhS9m2Q7LREvplHw.jpg

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

They look silver to me, but only because I can see them up close.  I have other hammered aluminum pieces, but I could be wrong.   The bigger one when I purchased them both looked more tarnished like silver before I cleaned it. 

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

They look silver to me, but only because I can see them up close.  I have other hammered aluminum pieces, but these look a bit different.  I could be wrong.   The bigger one when I purchased them both looked more tarnished like silver before I cleaned it. 

Message 15 of 28
latest reply