cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for information about an interesting framed filigree type metal art work

I'm hoping for any information about this metal artwork piece. The design is metal flowers and leaves, possibly copper, and quite heavy. It is made with many slivers and bended metal. It reminds me of filigree jewelry. It measures about 16" x 12.5" in the frame. The metal art itself measures 9.5" x 6.5". I thought maybe this was an architectural piece, framed at a later time? Has anyone seen anything like this, or has an idea of its origin, or what this type of work is called? I've had it about 15 years, bought at a yard or estate sale. Thanks for taking a look!

KerrieDSC_1172.JPGDSC_1174.JPGDSC_1176.JPGDSC_1177.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Looking for information about an interesting framed filigree type metal art work

Looks like some sort of printing press block,perhaps for fabric . Just a guess.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Looks like some sort of printing press block,perhaps for fabric . Just a guess.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I think this is a stamp that was used to decorate textiles, which has been repurposed as artwork.

I think it was used to stamp dye onto the fabric, or possibly wax or a resist of some kind onto the fabric before it was dyed.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Definitely fabric stamps, as others have said.  Quite possibly from India.

Here's a Google image search to show you many others:

https://www.google.com/search?q=metal+fabric+stamps&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXgNraxd7fA...

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Thanks to both of you! My mind never went there, but it makes a lot of sense. Will be researching printing plates etc. right now

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

It's not really a "printing plate," so you'll be better off if you don't use that phrase in your searches.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I found some similar examples under fabric stamp, print, and block. I wish I had posted this years ago 🙂 It is great to finally know what it is.

Many thanks!

Kerrie

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

You're welcome.  I agree with whoever framed these, that the stamps are enjoyable as works of art in themselves. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

It's a (fabric) printer's block.  Typically, they're from India but yours looks as if it might be from further east.

Debora

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Message 10 of 10
latest reply