cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insight into pair of bowls

Hello, I have a pair of what appear to be antique talavera pottery bowls. They certainly look old and I've found similar styles online but obviously I don't want to advertise these as antique if they're not. Does anyone have any insight into how old these could be? If they are indeed talavera or if I'm way off base. No markings on the bottom. Thank you!

1110221028.jpg

1110221027.jpg

1110221027a.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Insight into pair of bowls

They are definitely faience / majolica and could be quite old.  The problem with not having any marks is that they could be from almost any western European country. There is a certain date in which the pink slip could have been created and that yellow is very vibrant. That leads me to a newer time frame. 

Is there crazing in the glaze? What is the color of the unglazed body?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

There is lots of crazing and the unglazed stoneware is reddish/dark brown. In my research I've seen some similar looking stoneware as far as colors of the glazing and unglazed body that dates back to 17th Century Spain. I refuse to believe I would be so lucky as to find something THAT old.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

They are fabulous and they’re old IMO I’d guess Europe over Mexico. IMO they are not talevera but they are majolica.

Be general in your listing.

Amazing Pair Vintage Old Majolica Faience Floral Bowls

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@jsales0 When you sayold do you mean 17th, 18th or 19th century? I'm not surprised by the ancient dates I see on fresh, crisply colored pieces and the rough, crazed up appearance of some early 20th cen wares. Cats and dogs living together!!

Colors I thought I could depend on for dating are being proven, incrementally, older and older than I imagined possible. 

So to your assessment: 

Is it the naive-y folk art vibe, the body shapes or anything "tangible" visually speaking? What can I be looking for rhat I'm not? 

If you say magic 8 ball, imma come through this screen...

Message 5 of 5
latest reply