cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying a 13" bottle brush Christmas tree

I'm trying to identify a bottle brush Christmas tree I recently purchased.  It was sold as being from the 1960s, but I have my doubts.  thumbnail.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Identifying a 13" bottle brush Christmas tree

You should provide some close ups and if it's electric, a photo of the cord and plug.  Size? 

Rita

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Could be from the 1960s.  Given the tarnished tinsel, damaged bristles, and overall look, it could be that old.   Are those mercury (glass) beads?   If so, that would also mean it's probably old.   And during the '50s and 60s, the ones in pink, white, and metallic were the most sought-after, according to this brief history:

https://www.kenbridgevictoriadispatch.com/2023/12/22/the-garden-muse-history-of-the-bottle-brush-tre...

But whether or not it's possible to date these very closely, I cannot say.  If so, I don't know if it adds noticeable value (if you're thinking of reselling).

Here's your enlarged a bit, which may help others:

thumbnail.jpg

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Whoops just realized it's made from a bottle brush in which case 1960's is likely.

Rita

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I can't seem to tell if the ornaments are mercury or not.  There's no chipping or tarnishing at all, and the top ball was attached with what looks like glue from a glue gun, which I wouldn't think was invented at that time, although could have been added later.  I think it looks similar to a reproduction Bethany Lowe, but I can't find another exact one in all of eBay and Etsy.  There's no tarnish, and the stem has a thin white material like wrap.  

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Well, maybe it's a repro then.  I have no idea.  It never occurred to me that old bottle brush Christmas trees would reproduced / replicated / faked.    It amazes me the things that are, evidently, worth copying.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help but I hope someone comes along who can.

-

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thank-you for your help!  I finally found a similar one from the 2000s here on eBay, so my suspicions were prob right.  Yeah - sellers should get their facts straight, lol.  Unfortunately I purchased on Etsy so I'd have to eat all shipping costs to and from.  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Glue guns have been around since the 1950's.

Rita

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

The wrap arounds look like pipe cleaners.

Rita

Message 9 of 9
latest reply