cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying Asian-type writing on an item for sale

Hello;

About 15 years back I was gifted with a mini train case. It is gorgeous and I am not sure if I am going to sell it or keep it. Nonetheless, I need to determine what it says. It appears to be written in an Asian language, that I have been informed is not Chinese. That was a surprise, as it is a China-made product. Photos attached. I know that it isn't worth much. All I need to know is what it says. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.  

I have googled all Asian languages and cannot find similar characters.

20240223_161833.jpg20240223_162449.jpg20240223_161846.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This is a product from a factory that produces artificial leather. The purpose is to highlight Chinese elements. The words written on it are indeed Chinese characters, but they have no specific meaning.

In China, there are also many English words written on clothes, but in fact, you can’t translate them at all.🤣

微信图片_20240225193814.png

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It would help to see a photo of the entire piece.  Google translate shows nothing, so possibly these characters are decoration but seeing the entire piece would certainly help. @waxu_93   may be able to help. 

Rita 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Google images/google lens does not recognize those marks as characters of any kind, so it might be just a design, not writing.

If they are kanji or Chinese characters of some kind, then @waxu_93 will probably be able to tell you something about them.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

This looks to be something imported and sold by TJ MAXX/Pier One or God forbid...Bombay Company.  It's not an antique.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

This looks like a contemporary piece. Handle says 2002 - not sure if that is year of production (at least for handles?).

These are a match for the handles on your case:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/814193736/4-knocker-bail-post-mount-bar-cabinet?show_sold_out_detail=1&...

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It's in Chinese, but the characters are upside down.

I can't tell what's written . Maybe it's designed to highlight Chinese culture.

one is 和,other is 雪,But they really have no specific meaning.

微信图片_20240225191708.png

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

This is a product from a factory that produces artificial leather. The purpose is to highlight Chinese elements. The words written on it are indeed Chinese characters, but they have no specific meaning.

In China, there are also many English words written on clothes, but in fact, you can’t translate them at all.🤣

微信图片_20240225193814.png

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

What you are seeing is the entirety of the writing. Everything else is in another pattern.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I can't tell you how much this means to me. Knowing this is a load off of my mind. One thing I am considering as is a burial urn for a beloved pet. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply