cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify/Date Antique Silver Salt/Spoon Ladle

Hi,

I recently came across what appears to be an antique silver salt spoon/ladle with maker's marks that may make it a George III piece,  dating it to c. 1799.

Are there any silver experts out there that can identify the maker and date of manufacture based on the markings in the photo below?

The six-pointed star mark suggests that it might be the product of a Jewish artisan but I may be misinterpreting what it is.

Also, any guesses on possible value?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I'm sorry, but the hallmarks are not correct for a piece of British sterling, so it is not likely to be a British piece. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the Lion Passant, or the Assay Office mark, and the bust mark that is on it doesn't match the George III mark that was used.

A British Sterling piece should have 5 hall marks on it. The Lion Passant (meaning British Sterling) should always be present. There there will be the mark for the reigning monarch at the time, the mark identifying which Assay Office did the testing, and a letter that identifies what year it was tested, and the maker's mark. The marks may be in any order or arrangement, but with the possible exception of the maker's mark, they should all be there unless the item is physically so tiny that they can't be stamped on it.

https://gazette-eu-west.azureedge.net/media/9251/hallmarks03.jpg

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I'm sorry, but the hallmarks are not correct for a piece of British sterling, so it is not likely to be a British piece. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the Lion Passant, or the Assay Office mark, and the bust mark that is on it doesn't match the George III mark that was used.

A British Sterling piece should have 5 hall marks on it. The Lion Passant (meaning British Sterling) should always be present. There there will be the mark for the reigning monarch at the time, the mark identifying which Assay Office did the testing, and a letter that identifies what year it was tested, and the maker's mark. The marks may be in any order or arrangement, but with the possible exception of the maker's mark, they should all be there unless the item is physically so tiny that they can't be stamped on it.

https://gazette-eu-west.azureedge.net/media/9251/hallmarks03.jpg

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thanks very much  for the insights.

I had a feeling the marks weren't consistant with British marks. I guess that still leaves the country of origin question.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

My guess would be that it's an American coin silver salt spoon, but I am no expert.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

My guess would be American also ... testing should show what the silver content is, whether it should be called coin silver or sterling.

In the 19th century and possibly into the 20th, silver makers that were not in Britain or UK would sometimes copy their  hallmarks. In the UK, the use of "pseudo hallmarks" was banned at some point. Late 19th or early 20th century IIRC. But they couldn't do anything about practices outside their country.

In this case, if the salt spoon was found in the USA, then there's a good chance it was made here.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for you opinion on this. I have a feeling it's American, too.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Yep. Definitely found in the U.S.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Many thanks. That was helpful.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Glad it was useful, it might also be a good idea to ask on this forum:

https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=464296016a2e8653cac2d613ba44b201

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Outstanding. Thanks, again!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply