cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with ID'ing artist signature

This forum has helped me before, hopefully you will come thru again 🙂  I found this oil painting rolled up and tucked away in my grandmothers closet, I know nothing about it, where it came from or anything. The signature is M Daley which brings up too many hits on google to pinpoint. If anyone knows the full name it would certainly help out. Thank you.

DSCN0171[1].jpgttr.jpg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Help with ID'ing artist signature

M Daley
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Brilliant! thank you
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@ericodapro wrote:
Brilliant! thank you

I assume that was a tongue-in-cheek response.  You did ask to ID the signature.  So for an experienced board contributor, it is natural to respond that way.  You'd be surprised how many people ask us to figure out what appears to be a very clear artist's signature.   

Having said that, if you have gotten a lot of hits for M. Daley, you could try comparing signatures if you can find them. 

Rita

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

No, I just thought the response was facetious since I thought it was clear I knew that much of the name and was asking for the full name. I was hoping if the artist was a well known one that someone could give a full name because I already used up all my other resources hence why Im asking the community here. Im pretty sure now it was most likely someone my grandmother knew and not a hidden treasure. haha ty for the reply though.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I doubt that the first answer was facetious. 

Your reading of the name was buried in the middle of a paragraph, and your title seemed to indicate that you couldn't make anything of the signature. It was more likely that the responder scanned your post, saw the picture of the signature, and replied quickly to try to help you.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

At the risk of suggesting what you've already done:  Try to create bracket of dates.  You know when you grandmother was born and when she died.  You know at what age (and thus, year) she might have begun to accumulate and store unframed paintings and at what age (and thus, year) she would likely have stopped.  Say that gives you the dates 1955 to 1980.  Using that bracket will eliminate possibilities as you search the various Ms who could be M. Daley. 

I can't tell much about the painting from the photo but it appears to be rather generic, and the fact that Grandmother rolled it up and tossed it into a closet may mean she thought so, too. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

We had a similar sea scape with almost identical looking grasses in the front and the rocks in the ocean.

Funny story. It was 'painted' by a neighbor who watched painting classes on TV. She painted a similar 'masterpiece' to the one you have here and presented to my parents as a gift.

My parents were horrified because not only was it not their taste, it was truly dreadful/ugly. Yours is much prettier, she had no talent, even I knew it as a kid. As my father would say quite often when he sat on the couch under the ugly painting, "The only taste she has is in her mouth, mutter mutter mutter." Boy did they hate that ugly painting.

She lived across the street so my parents couldn't take it down. It was up for several years in our living room in our 1100 sf house 🙂

They moved and the painting immediately came down. Faster than a speeding bullet.

Ugly painting was put in a back closet. Once a year at the holidays, the family came back to visit their family and they would visit us. My parents, knowing they were coming, always got the painting up and on the wall a couple weeks before they got to town. Once they had visited and my parents knew for sure they had gone back to another State, painting was back in the closet.

Until they day the door bell rang and they were there. It wasn't a holiday. My parents were caught like deers in headlights. I was there watching from a safe distance, even I knew what was about to happen.

Everyone went into the living room. All eyes on the wall, I am sure painter was about to wax poetic on her work, to find a painting of an owl 🙂

I felt so bad for my parents, but dang, it was one ugly painting. Your artist did a better job, but I have a sneaking suspicion your artist watched the same painting show on TV. 1960's was when our masterpiece was created.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@melda58 wrote:

@ericodapro wrote:
Brilliant! thank you

I assume that was a tongue-in-cheek response.  You did ask to ID the signature.  So for an experienced board contributor, it is natural to respond that way.  You'd be surprised how many people ask us to figure out what appears to be a very clear artist's signature.   

Having said that, if you have gotten a lot of hits for M. Daley, you could try comparing signatures if you can find them. 

Rita

Wasn't trying to be smarty Rita is 100% right,"You'd be surprised how many people ask us to figure out what appears to be a very clear artist's signature'.   twas early (wasn't awake) and only read title looked at photo's😤😓

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

"The Parable of the Painting' Really interesting how this taught you every day it was or wasn't hanging on the wall so many valuable lessons,very deep well written,thanks for the great story.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

You are so welcome. That painting was our families dirty secret, lol, my parents were so proper (British) that they suffered for several years with that monstrosity on the wall because they were too polite to tell her whatever it was they needed to tell her so they could not have to display it.

I guess that makes my parents 'bad painting' martyrs? It's funny to me now, sure caused a lot of stress for my mom and dad. I could probably paint that painting from memory, it was such a problem in our house 🙂

Now I can't get the visual out of my head, took me back to my childhood, so funny.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply