cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Hiroshige collection - 53 Stations Of The Tokaido

I have a collection of the Hiroshige prints of the 53 Stations of the Tokaido.  The prints are in a cloth-covered album with accordion style pages, and a folder/cover for the album which shows some wear.  There is a full description of each print in both Japanese in English.  

If possible, I'd like to determine more information about what I have.  Perhaps the age (when it was published), and the publisher?  There's some information inside the cover/folder, in Japanese (see 2nd photo).  There's a handwritten notation inside the cover/folder indicating that it was purchased from a department store in Tokyo, but no date.

Also, any ideas on what the value might be?  The album itself and the pages are in very good condition (to me, but I'm not a professional).  There is only one small tear on one page.  The colors are vibrant.  However, the edges of the cover/folder are worn and tearing.

Would appreciate your help.

DSCN1837.JPGDSCN1822.JPGDSCN1833.JPGDSCN1830.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help with Hiroshige collection - 53 Stations Of The Tokaido

Thanks for the additional information. I found a Japanese-English edition of 東海道五拾三次 on WorldCat, but I can't be sure it is the same one, as there are so many reproductions out there. You really need someone who can translate the details in the text-box, and unfortunately this isn't the best place to ask when it comes to Japanese translations.

If you post the text-box photo here, there's a good chance that someone more knowledgeable will be able to translate:

https://www.reddit.com/r/translator/

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

Does it have a full title page (apart from the text in that box)? Also, what are the dimensions?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It measures approximately 12" x 8-7/8" x 3/4."

There is no separate title page, although I believe the 4th picture ("map") may be a type of title page showing all of the stations.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the additional information. I found a Japanese-English edition of 東海道五拾三次 on WorldCat, but I can't be sure it is the same one, as there are so many reproductions out there. You really need someone who can translate the details in the text-box, and unfortunately this isn't the best place to ask when it comes to Japanese translations.

If you post the text-box photo here, there's a good chance that someone more knowledgeable will be able to translate:

https://www.reddit.com/r/translator/

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

argon38 - thank you for the tip on the reddit translator.  I was able to get the information that I wanted by posting the photo.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Glad to hear that! I don't particularly like the layout of the site, but it can certainly be useful.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply