cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Dog Figurine Please - Holes on back and front of head - what purpose?

Hello,

And, thank you in advance. I got this 4" dog figurine at a Church County Fair (yard sale). 

I cannot figure out what the holes are for...? One hole at his mouth and one hole on the center back of his head.

There is an Asian type script on the base - etched.  And, the pup does have a good deal of crazing to the finish.   Any help is appreciated. Again, thank you.

045.JPG046.JPG047.JPG

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Help with Dog Figurine Please - Holes on back and front of head - what purpose?

Pencil holder?  Flower stem holder? 

Rita

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Re: Help with Dog Figurine Please - Holes on back and front of head - what purpose?

Great Ideas - thank you - although, the 'holes' are between 1/8 and 1/4" in diameter (I should have giving the size of the holes previously).  Too small for a pencil.

Could it be a smoker? It's a stretch - blowing smoke into the back and coming out the mouth? 

The pup is clean and doesn't look like it was used for that - I'm stumped.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

The funny thing is that it looks like hundreds of twine/string holders I've seen, with the string coming out of the animals' mouths, but it can't be that because there's no way to put the pull of twine/string inside.

The glaze reminds me of the celadon glazes I see on a lot of Korean ceramics.  Can you get a clearer picture of the "Asian type script" on the base, as it's nothing but a blur to me in the photo.  Or, compare it yourself to Hangul (Korean script) to see if it could be Korean.

-

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Vent holes so it does not explode during the firing process.

Also it is a mold made  piece.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

A water sprinkler, maybe for making ink? Is it hollow?

I seem to remember we had another post about something that was eventually identified as a sprinkler for making ink.

You would fill it by submerging it in a bowl of water, and letting the air bubble out. Then you could use it by shaking it so the water comes out in drops. The hole on the back of the head lets air in, so the water drops can come out the hole in the mouth.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Thank you -

vent holes! Okay.  I was just thinking the holes are so obvious....

couple more pictures of the mark on base, maybe somewhat better....

Again, I do thank you.

074.JPG075.JPG

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I believe both @lacemaker3 and @maxine*j nailed it.

Link for informational/research purposes only;

http://www.korean-arts.com/dolls_figurines/celadon/celadon_puppy.htm

Item on that page is described as:

Puppy with a ribbon, celadon water dropper figurine has a hole in the top for adding water which pours out the mouth. Celadon water dropper figurines have been used since the 12th century in Korea for calligraphy.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

青现---likes Japanese style

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Ornaments hanging on the front of the car

i think so

The space of the hole in the dog's mouth may be large, but the space behind it may be small, making it easier to thread a rope.😃

37d400016f567200d3e8.jfif

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Hello,

Thank you all for your help. It is much appreciated.

I do agree.  It fits the description of a water dropper.  

I would have never discovered that without your help.

Again, Thank you.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Just so reality does not get lost in the pursuit of cute water droppers, there seem to be a good number  *hundreds of millions*? of  these holes in pottery and porcelain hollow body figures from around the world suggesting  what I mentioned was not a silly suggestion but in fact, possibly the original purpose of these holes which were adapted along the way into water droppers.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I agree with wastingtime101

it’s a water dripper or dropper, for mixing ink or paint.

see this museum example for similar - they call it a dropper.

https://philamuseum.org/collection/object/76538 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Just so reality does not get lost in the pursuit of cute water droppers, there seem to be a good number  *hundreds of millions*? of  these holes in pottery and porcelain hollow body figures from around the world suggesting  what I mentioned was not a silly suggestion but in fact, possibly the original purpose of these holes which were adapted along the way into water droppers.

@sonomabarn67,

Any hollow ceramic item has to have a vent hole, that's true. Otherwise they would explode in the kiln. But, usually the vent holes are hidden on the bottom of the item where they won't show.

If there are no vent holes on the unglazed bottom of the piece, and visible holes on the show surface, then they were probably placed there for another purpose, even though they also provide venting when the piece is fired.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for the clarification. I've not encountered those and I knew it wasn't a pie bird so I went with what I knew and darned if I wasn't wrong🤔.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply