cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Asian bowl please..

I picked up this bowl because of the colors and size  9 1/2" w X 3 1/2" H . It is heavy and I noticed the paint was chipped in some areas. Does anyone know when "not for food" was stamped on bottoms? This is not marked. I don't think it could be used for food because of the paint. Any idea to age? I believe it is enameled? Wear on the outter sides of bowl in areas. Does this have a name? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.20200107_191448.jpg20200107_191511.jpg20200107_191525.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The warning labels (due to lead and cadmium contamination from glazes) were added to ceramic items in the early 1990s.  I believe they were first proposed in 1989.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Famille Jaune is a term used by collectors of Chinese porcelain to describe these colors.

A website on the subject says a butterfly approaching a peony flower symbolizes a young man and the woman he loves. Just some ideas, not an expert.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you ! Helps alot ! Thought it was odd that, to me, it was just the paint that was chipped off in areas and not worn.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for your input ! So this would be Chinese? After looking up Famille Jaune, Any idea of the age of this? Not much help when not marked, and not finding a similiar bowl like this. I don't think its that old. Is this enameled? Sorry, but I am clueless.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply