cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identify these vases

Can anyone tell me anything about these vases.311203288_1308359699973507_112169223868612601_n.jpg311411926_2303673139782497_1873637503199401215_n.jpg

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Help identify these vases

Painting a crazed item only covers the crazing up.  It does not cure or correct anything. 

And I could paint with any color, but I just so happen to have a lot of white on hand.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@krazzykats wrote:

Painting a crazed item only covers the crazing up.  It does not cure or correct anything. 

And I could paint with any color, but I just so happen to have a lot of white on hand.

Even if the china is crazed, how do you get paint to stick to its glazed surface?  What kind of paint do you use?  How do you prepare the surface so the paint will go on smoothly and stay on?  Does coarse sandpaper work?  Not being any sort of crafts person, it never occurred to me that one could paint over china. 

Obviously we're talking only about items for food use, since vases and other decorative pieces are often deliberately crazed.

-

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@svetlatvk 

I'm having no luck finding the mark.  I'm sending out a bat signal to someone who may well be able to offer an idea or two, though:

@md1919 

You could also try posting to the Pottery, Glass, Porcelain forum:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Pottery-Glass-Porcelain/bd-p/275

-

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Do people deliberately craze china?  What's next?  I remember putting marbles in boiling water to crack them when I was a kid. Lol! 

I use a flat primer aerosol.  I may rough sand, depending on the surface itself.  Doesn't matter if the paint is rough, drippy, or whatever.   If the design is really nice, I do paint just the inside leaving the original design alone. 

I was into creating tin can art, which is the reason I have several cans of white.

I have picked up crazed pots, teapots, cups & saucers for next to nothing, sometimes free when cracked/stained. 

And china items missing tops, etc...or anything I think might make a cute cactus pot.

KrazzyKats

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Why on earth would you paint ceramic? Crazed glaze or otherwise? There's no benefit to painting a surface that was meant to be seen. If you doubt the truth of that, look at the nonsense that shows up in Goodwill or yard sales, if you paint ceramic, glass, metal or other, you'll (99% of the time) have a terrible "fix" for your problem. 

Also, you run the chance of destroying value you may not realize exists. 

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Yes, I know that.  I make plant pots out of certain pieces.  I paint, to slow the crazing down, or prevent additional "staining" when I use them as garden pots.  And I buy them with that in mind. 

I'm not trying to fix or resell anything, if there's any value, it's in my cacti that are sitting in them.

Crazing can't be fixed. 

KrazzyKats

Message 21 of 21
latest reply