cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identify name on painting.

IMG_2597.jpeg

IMG_2596.jpeg

I have a small 5.5” x 3.5” oil painting on a trootex canvas board dated March 1920,can’t make out the name but appears to be a small impressionist style painting. It’s dirty and I got this in an $8 grab bag that had several other items from the 1920’s, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Help identify name on painting.

painting.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Here is the back of the canvas 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I would say the style is more scumbling than impressionist.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

It's a nice little impressionist landscape, and the lettering style is correct for that time. I see W. K (e/o/a?) FL (t/e/?). I'd start with William or Wilhelm K****. It's possible that the first name is a woman, but statistically, a man's. If you can use a loupe to see the artist's last name letters better, please let us know what you find. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Well I used a magnifying glass and this is what the letters look like.  I can make out a W. K. and what looks like stacked PP and almost looks like an A after the W, the marks after the K looks like •• but hard to say, anyone else have any idea.

IMG_2865.jpeg

IMG_2864.jpeg

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

You might use the term cake-icing to describe the signature style.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Maybe if you used the macro setting on your smartphone camera. I'm getting a real distortion from the last couple pics. Keefe? Keete? This is a real tough one to pick out. 

It's 5.5"×3.5"? So about the size of a traditional photo? 

Impressionist landscape by W. Ke***?  Do you have any guesses on the following letters @seanandlaruescollectibles ?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I will try to get a better picture of the signature when I get home, in west Texas and fly home later today. I do see a W. K** PP but could be wrong. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply