Help Identifying native American turquoise necklace

Can someone help Identifing this necklace and what years

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Help Identifying native American turquoise necklace

c*me*4*lefton*info
Trailblazer

Native American jewel makers and other jewelry makers have used traditional means of producing jewelry for nearly the past 100 years. Dating such a piece is difficult without more to go on. Because of the turquoise it appears to be a southwest (USA) design, but there are lots of tribes of native americans in the southwest (in Arizona and New Mexico for example). Identification of the materials used in the jewelry would offfer some clues. For example what are the "beads" made of? Is the shiny metal silver or somerhing else? Lots of jewelry of this kind was sold in gift shops and made for the tourist trade in the southwest USA in the 1950s. Such jewelry is often described as "Route 66 era or Fred Harvey era" jewelry. If you use those search temrs and search ebay you will find many examples on ebay. Additionally the shape of the 5 silver(?)/turquoise pieces strung on the piece of jewelry is reminiscent of the shape of a tomahawk blade. Not sure if I am using the right terminology, hopefully you will get the idea anyways.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Alos be careful saying the blue stone is turquoise. It may or may not be real turquoise. Another similar but less expensive stone typically died turquoise color is called howlite.

Lastly, the two cone shaped pieces on the jewelry near the clasp look like they may have some type of design on them. The design may also offer clues as to which Native American tribe was used as inspiration for this item since most of the designs are distinctive to a specific tribe of native peoples.

Personally I have just in the past couple of months started collecting similar things so at this point I am far from an expert.

Another earch term often being used on ebay to describe similar things is "old pawn." But this does not have an "old" look to it.

My opinion and 2 cents worth, worth exactly what you paid for it (nada).

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

And I will just add that if you intend to sell it on eBay, remember that all provisions of the Indian Arts & Crafts Act of 1990 are part of eBay policy.  That means, among other things, that you cannot list it as "Native American" unless you know the maker the maker's tribal affiliation.

"Under the Indian Arts and Crafts Act - opens in new window or tab, any item described as Alaska Native, American Indian, or Native American must be made by an enrolled member of a state or federally recognized tribe or by someone certified as an Indian artisan by a recognized Indian tribe...."

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/artefacts-cultural-heritage-graverela...

Here is good information about "old pawn":
https://www.antiqueamericanindianart.com/old-pawn---what-does-it-mean.html

And "Fred Harvey":

https://www.antiqueamericanindianart.com/fred-harvey-jewelry.html

Message 4 of 4
latest reply