cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Identifying This Vintage Lamp

This lamp has been passed down to me. It was around in the 1930's-40's because I have a dated photo with it in it. It was in Chicago, Illinois if that helps. Spiderweb design and it is very heavy. I am guessing brass because there is a bit of a green patina on it. About 24" tall and 21" wide at shade. No name that I can find. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Help Identifying This Vintage Lamp

Anonymous
Not applicable

Might even be a bit earlier - 1920s. Carmel bent slag glass would describe the panels.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Just to avoid neck strain...

IMG_1145.JPG

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Thanks...didn't know how to turn ....how you do that?
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@bluebird8919 wrote:
Thanks...didn't know how to turn ....how you do that?

You're welcpme.  One of the oddities of these boards is that pictures may post any which-way.  Particularly if they are large, they usually post sideways.    So I cropped yours and reduced it from 1600 px X 1064 px to 700 px X 826 px and it posted rightside up.   Beats me.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Not computer savvy on cropping....walk me through and I can fix the others....

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I can't really walk you through it, because I don't know what kind of computer you use, and what operating system it has, which influences which image-handling programs you might have installed. 

I still use a desktop, with Linux OS, which means I use the little program called Fotoxx and Pinta for quick image jobs and GIMP Image Editor for complex ones.

So what did was:  Right-clicked on your photo, chose "Save Image As," and saved it to my computer.  Then opened it with Fotoxx and from the Fotoxx menu first chose "Rotate" and rotated it 90 degrees, then chose "Trim" and cropped away all but the lamp itself, and then chose "Resize" and did that.  Then saved it with those changes, overwriting the original file.  Finally posted the new picture here.   The whole process from start to finish took less than two minutes.  But none of that may help you  one bit.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Rocket science, pure rocket science. Don't be coy, you put us to shame on a daily basis.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Are there any marks/letters underneath the shade or base?

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Rocket science, pure rocket science. Don't be coy, you put us to shame on a daily basis.

I can also simply right-click on the picture in the thread, click on "Vew Image" and then open it with my default image viewer and the OP's lamp is right-side up.   But, again, depending on their devices, systems and system settings that, or some variation if it, might or might not work for others.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

It looks like bronze. The base and finial are neo-classical, Adam or Regency style more specifically. The shade doesn't quite match, with the spider web and somewhat rococo frames, even seems to have an Art Nouveau influence. This is consistent with the early 20s when these different styles would have been pieced together by a lamp maker.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

In the marketplace among dealers and collectors these have always been referred to as "slag glass lamps". I've never heard them described the way you have.

Anyway, for the OP, search "slag glass lamp" and you will find over a thousand on ebay. And as I asked before, check under the shade and under the base for any marks that will tell us who might have made your lanp.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

In the marketplace among dealers and collectors these have always been referred to as "slag glass lamps". I've never heard them described the way you have.

Good point. Many of the slag glass lamps have Art Nouveau design features or a tree base; many others have sharp Arts & Crafts angles.

I haven't seen many repros like this, as a "slag lamp" it could easily get lost in a sea of Art Nouveau an A&C repros. Idk, maybe buyers aren't looking for original or unique when sifting through the thousands of listings for slag lamps?

But the main reason I mentioned the style wasn't to up-sell it, thought it might help to date it.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

No marks anywhere....I am wondering if it had been spray painted.....looks more bronze/ brass in spots..??

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Here is a link to the current 1,457 active listings for slag glass lamp on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=slag+glass+lamp&_sacat=0

If you look thru these listings (and sold listings) there is a good chance you will come up with a match, or you might get close. Your lamp may have had a sticker on it that fell off. Basiclly, you are looking for age, manufacturer, and value, right? All those questions should be answered by the time you complete your perusal.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply