Accepted Solutions
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Help Id Makers Mark

thank you very much

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

"Combat de Heilsberg" (The Battle of Heilsburg -- 1807, Napoleonic Wars) is the name of the event being pictured on one of the two plates in mesodude's link.  The other plate commemorates "Les Adieux de Fontainbleau" (Farewell at Fontainbleau -- Napolean's farewell speech to his soldiers at Fontainbleau).

The seller of the plates does not identify the maker.  Yours looks like it belongs in the series but the lack of the same sort of titling makes me wonder if it is.  And, in any event, the maker is yet to be identified.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@mesodude wrote:

Try Combat de Heilsberg. 

"Combat de Heilsberg" is not a manufacturer - it's the scene on one of the plates in your link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Heilsberg 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

There is a very confused discussion about the mark on this thread. Scroll all the way down to the end to read the post by "John," whose comment seems well-informed:

https://www.figurines-sculpture.com/n-with-crown-above-pottery-mark-query-on-biscuit-barrel-jar-with... 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

And when I said OP's plate looks like it belongs in the series, I should have said as a copy or reproduction or some series about Napoleon, because the overall design and form of the plates in mesdude's link differ from OP's.  

I also think the seller in mesodude's link may be wrong in his description of the plates as "French porcelain plates, late 19th century."

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Just a note, you have horrible titles.  vnG, Largest and Hardest,   Stick to Facts.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the criticism. I'm glad my post contributed to the discussion.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I also think the seller in mesodude's link may be wrong in his description of the plates as "French porcelain plates, late 19th century."

Dunno. I see the poster "John" on the other thread says: "The crude gilt, poor painting and `bleeding` of the blue are all typical of the genre,"   but does the gilding on the OP's plate really look all that crude? I wanted to post the link having found it, but I think I'll leave it at that. I'm out of my depth when it comes to porcelain.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@mesodude wrote:

Not intended as a criticism by any means, just a clarification. Your posts on the board are very helpful.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thanks. And I meant criticism in the more generic sense of the word. Being careful not to jump the gun is a good rule.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@mesodude wrote:

Not intended as a criticism by any means, just a clarification. Your posts on the board are very helpful.

Agreed.  And I also didn't take it that mesodude was identifying the maker as "Combat de Heilsberg" but was directing OP to other examples of Napoleon-themed porcelain with a nearly identical mark;  i.e., a place to begin research, not a place to end it. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@mesodude wrote:

And just to be clear - when I wrote "There is a very confused discussion about the mark on this thread, I was talking about the thread in my link!

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

... When I wrote "There is a very confused discussion about the mark on this thread I was talking about the thread in my link!

Now, that I did get.  I scanned through it and, yes, this mark seems to have a life of its own.  (John's comments were the most useful, though, as you noted.)

Message 15 of 15
latest reply