cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harry Potter Book Chamber of Secrets 1st American Edition, 1999

Hello All,

I hope I am on the right Board. Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets -ISBN - 2  - - Ebay -.jpg I need help

with the value of this Harry Potter, Chamber of Secret Book. I am not a rare book collector but I did research the book and I think First Printing points are present...I’m just not sure. I’m providing photos for the following info. First printing with full number line "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 9/9 0/0 1 2 3 4, Printed in the U.S.A. 37, First American Edition, June 1999" stated on copyright page and Code 51795 above smaller barcode line on rear jacket panel. The "Year 2" imprint IS NOT present on the spine or jacket. The first page of the book includes the typo "Sorceror's" instead of "Sorcerer's,” page 332 has "ancestor" instead of "decedent," it has Blue boards with embossed diamond quilt pattern, green cloth with silver letting on spine and red end paper. The Jacket price of $17.95 is listed with jacket illustration by Mary GrandPre. The book is free of rips and tears but the book without the Jacket does show some wear. Please see photos provided. Any help given would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets - Hardcover - 1 - - eBay 4 -.jpgHarry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets with 51795 - Barcode -  9  -  ebay.jpgHarry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets - Fading - Arrows - 14 - Ebay - 3 -.jpgHarry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets - Word Ancestor  - 11 - - ebay.jpgHarry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets - damage  - Arrows - 15 - ebay - 2.jpgHarry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets - Hardcover - 1 - - eBay 4 -.jpgHarry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets -ISBN - 2  - - Ebay -.jpgHarry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets with 51795 - Barcode -  9  -  ebay.jpgHarry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets - Fading - Arrows - 14 - Ebay - 3 -.jpgHarry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets - damage  - Arrows - 15 - ebay - 2.jpgHarry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets - Word Ancestor  - 11 - - ebay.jpg

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Harry Potter Book Chamber of Secrets 1st American Edition, 1999

Here is FEDPO, always reliable, lots of details, many photos to study:

http://www.fedpo.com/BookDetail.php/Harry-Potter-Chamber-US

"The copyright page has the full number line '10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1    9/9 0/0 1 2 3 4'.   Below the number line is 'Printed in the U.S.A. 37', and below that is 'First American edition, June 1999.'"

If you determine that you do have a first edition, first print you can look at Completed Listings on eBay to see what the book is selling for these days.   To get an idea of value, you might also want to check ABE, Alibris, and the like.

=

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Here is FEDPO, always reliable, lots of details, many photos to study:

http://www.fedpo.com/BookDetail.php/Harry-Potter-Chamber-US

"The copyright page has the full number line '10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1    9/9 0/0 1 2 3 4'.   Below the number line is 'Printed in the U.S.A. 37', and below that is 'First American edition, June 1999.'"

If you determine that you do have a first edition, first print you can look at Completed Listings on eBay to see what the book is selling for these days.   To get an idea of value, you might also want to check ABE, Alibris, and the like.

=

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

The small areas of wear and soil to the boards should have a negative impact on the value of the book as a collectible.    But sold prices are all over the place, so it's hard to say.

Rita

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

It is also probably going to make a difference what a real 'collector' is going to want, and that would probably be the first edition that came out in UK in 1998.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Thank you sooo much for your time, effort and information. It is truly appreciated. I checked out the link FEDPO, the information listed on the site was priceless. My book is a First Edition and not a First Print and has some damage but I will list it at a reasonable price and see what happens. At the moment it is collecting dust on my Book Shelf. Once again….thank you.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Thank you for your time and effort and for the information. It is appreciated. Plan to list the book at a reasonable price, show the damage and see what happens. Once again….Thanks!! Your information was very helpful in determining a price.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Yes...I saw what the UK 1998 Editions were  going for.  The first Print...First editions are going for thousands. WHEW!!! Wish I had that edition.. Thanks for the information.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@jackipoo55 wrote:

Thank you sooo much for your time, effort and information. It is truly appreciated. I checked out the link FEDPO, the information listed on the site was priceless. My book is a First Edition and not a First Print and has some damage but I will list it at a reasonable price and see what happens. At the moment it is collecting dust on my Book Shelf. Once again….thank you.

Correction to your post above...your book is a First American Edition and it is the first printing of that First American Edition.   The actual first edition is the British edition.

Rita

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

As an aside, thanks for taking the effort to format your question so nicely and for providing such good photos.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Thank you!!! I didn't realize that. Didn't know the difference. So glad I came to this Board. I received a wealth of  helpful information today. Now I know I can list the book as a First Edition...First Print. Thanks again!!

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Thank you. The information I received  today was quite an education and very much appreciated.  I thought I had posted TOO much information.😀 and no one would take the time to go through it all....But I was wrong!!! The information I received was invaluable. Thanks again and have a wonderful day.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@jackipoo55 wrote:

Now I know I can list the book as a First Edition...First Print. Thanks again!!

The point Rita is making is that you always have to specify it as the "First AMERICAN Edition" (as you do in the title of your post). If you simply call it a "First Edition" with no other qualification, it may mislead people into thinking it is a true first, which it is not (the UK edition is the true first).

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Thank you. When posting my Items I try to list them as accuartely as possible so there is no misleading which causes customer backlash. I will list it as a First American Edition, First Print 1999. Will also list that information in my description so there is no confusion for the buyer as to what he/she is buying.  Very Helpful.  Yes...I know the UK 1998 first Edition is the "First True Edition". Wish I had that copy😀. Thanks again.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

The number "37" after  "Printed in the U. S. A." is problematic.  This MAY indicate that what you own is actually  a copy of the 37th printing of the first American edition (or some other exclusionary meaning).

Before listing it as a first printing of the first American edition, I would contact the customer service department at Scholastic Press for verification, and for an explanation of that mysterious "37" imprint.

Scholastic's coding systems are often a mysterious jumble of numbers; but this can be easily cleared up by simply sending them an email or letter.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Great Idea. Thank you. Will check out what the "37" means. Thanks for the information. Have a great afternoon.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply