cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Miriam Haskell?

Hello,  my question is whether or not this is a Miriam Haskell item or is it possible that it's an imitation? Thanks for any response. 

Screenshot_20220228-214550_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220228-214621_Facebook.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fake Miriam Haskell?

For future reference, this might be better addressed in the Jewelry forum, but I'm sure no one will mind.

I have a *some* experience with Haskell, as I mistakenly sold an unsigned demi-parure of hers about 6 months ago. Since then I've been boning up on the tell-tale signs. Number one is that clasp. Its a good sign for the clasp to be decorated and the round box clasp is one of the hallmarks of Haskell's earlier jewelry, BUT the findings (jewelry parts, like clips, jump rings and hooks) are not what I've come to expect from her work. 

I have a feeling that your piece is one of the German/Czech imitations that pop up most frequently. For the precise reason that the metal pieces (findings) that attach the beads at either end, to the box and the clasp tabs, are less than subtle. I'm likely wrong, but the myriad examples I've seen of necklaces with the round box clasps have more finished "sophisticated" detailed/decorated findings. 

I hope I'm wrong and I hope this helps!

M

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

For future reference, this might be better addressed in the Jewelry forum, but I'm sure no one will mind.

I have a *some* experience with Haskell, as I mistakenly sold an unsigned demi-parure of hers about 6 months ago. Since then I've been boning up on the tell-tale signs. Number one is that clasp. Its a good sign for the clasp to be decorated and the round box clasp is one of the hallmarks of Haskell's earlier jewelry, BUT the findings (jewelry parts, like clips, jump rings and hooks) are not what I've come to expect from her work. 

I have a feeling that your piece is one of the German/Czech imitations that pop up most frequently. For the precise reason that the metal pieces (findings) that attach the beads at either end, to the box and the clasp tabs, are less than subtle. I'm likely wrong, but the myriad examples I've seen of necklaces with the round box clasps have more finished "sophisticated" detailed/decorated findings. 

I hope I'm wrong and I hope this helps!

M

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks much, my wife used to collect the stuff, and I was thinking about this for my daughter. I don't know for sure either, but it was the connection parts that made me think twice. Findings, I guess.

Just in case, I'll  pass. Dont need wooden nickels. I'll have enough to hear about when I see her again. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@nopi1956 wrote:

Hello,  my question is whether or not this is a Miriam Haskell item or is it possible that it's an imitation? Thanks for any response. 

Screenshot_20220228-214550_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220228-214621_Facebook.jpg

I would have to say that it is not a haskell because if it were it would have an embossed box clasp. This one does not have an embossed clasp. If you see a box clasp that has a glued on or soldered on Cartouche, it is an fake - a fraud. I Hope buyers are being very careful about their Miriam Haskell purchases on any platform because I am seeing more fakes than real Haskell’s these days. And they’re getting very sophisticated with their designs.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You're right about the proliferation of imitations. But ALL the round box clasps didn't have the signature mark. Most, but not all. Please post any frauds you find (or suspect) in the Jewelry forum. I'm always trying to learn more. 

Cheers!

M

Message 5 of 5
latest reply