cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early 1900's Free Mason Full Outfit in Suitcase-- value??

Hi,

I discovered this full Free Mason outfit set including: coat with metal pin, two hats with covers, sash with medals, sword which connects to a belt, and a suitcase which is labeled with a name that it all fits into. I'm wondering if someone has any idea on the value of this item. Thanks!IMG_0573.JPGunnamed.jpg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Early 1900's Free Mason Full Outfit in Suitcase-- value??

If you want an appraisal, you have to pay me.  If you want to get an idea of what you might expect to get for this on eBay, search eBay listings.

Here are a couple to get you started:

Completed listings:

ttps://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=masonic+knights+templar+uniform&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1...

Current listings:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=masonic+knights+templar+uniform&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Ti...

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thank you. Considering I dont own it, I am not up to paying for an apprasial. I am simply looking for information. If you can't provide that, I understand.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Thank you. Considering I dont own it, I am not up to paying for an apprasial. I am simply looking for information. If you can't provide that, I understand. Thank you for the suggestions.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The boards are for identification and, if asked, for suggestions that might help in listing an item.  No one likes to give valuations for many good reasons.  An estimate that's too high will make you unhappy, and so will one that's too low, and only Goldilocks ever got anything just right. 

I hope you looked at the links I gave you.  You'll see that uniforms very like yours, in age and in completeness, have sold and what they fetched.  You'll see the correct spellings ("Freemason," for example), the further information that this is the so-called "Knight's Templar" uniform, clothing and hat labels to compare, useful keywords, and other information you can use for further research to arrive at an approximate value.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

It would be impossible to give a fare valuation with the photos you provided. (What is that big gob of fabric in front of the model, an apron or the trousers. It might be better to photograph it on a hanger or laid flat) It's difficult even with good photos to give a value, for a million reasons.

Also, don't dry clean or wash any parts. don't lay it on a dirty porch or dusty suitcase.

For uniforms like this condition matters. It is condition, condition, condition.

You need to feel and go over every inch with a magnifying glass if you have to. The uniform is wool, I would gather, which at this age often has moth holes. (In fact, laying it out on the porch isn't a good idea.) Note any labels, makers marks (ie Pettibone) and sizes.

Is the leather supple or dry? is the fringe missing any strands, are the metal parts rust free, do the pin clasps or mechanisms work or are the metal pieces riveted in place. I see that you have a hat form, these also came with a separate carrying case.

I am not an expert on Masonic items. But as suggested, compare similar items that have sold. Many of these objects are still being made, like the chapeau (Knights Templar Sir Knight Chapeau), and rather than increase the value of an antique, in this case I would imagine it might decrease the value. The visor hat is sometimes called a Kepi or fatigue hat, The coat is usually called a Frock coat (though I think that may be a misnomer). The sword sling is called a baldric. The suitcase might have a man's name, but I don't know if it is "masonic issue" or just one that was bought at sears. While that is what it was stored in, it may not be of great importance to the masonic collector.

The sold listings is the best place to get an idea of the going rate.

A similar set, with out the sword and trousers, and in what looks like lesser condition than yours, sold for  $128.50 +  
$20.10 ($148.60 total) with 8 bids on Apr 01, 2018. They started the auction at $30.

While a similar set has languished for a couple months at $79.99+$11.41.

And on May 29, another reached $202.50+42.00 with 7 bids starting at $50. That one has a beautiful sword, and was well photographed. There are collectors of all kinds of swords, I would imagine that was why that auction went so high, and if you sell on eBay, you may do better listing the sword in a separate auction but listed at the same time.

There is a category for these items.
    Collectibles    >    Historical Memorabilia    >    Fraternal Organizations    >    Masonic, Freemasonry   

You wrote "I discovered this full Free Mason outfit set..." Then you said you don't own it.

I don't want to be confrontational, but we aren't mind readers and it does help to know ownership and why you want identification or appraisal ("I saw this at a garage sale -would you buy it for $75", "my friend wants me to list this on ebay for her, but I don't know if it's worth the effort", "I inherited this from my uncle, would you have it insured", "I am cleaning out a house, everything must go, would you list this on eBay or put it in the sale?"

I really don't care if you own it or not, or if you plan on flipping it for a profit or keeping it regardless and want to brag to your friends about it's worth. Okay? But knowing that information will help people here give you the best of their advise, that's allSmiley Wink

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@pixzee wrote:

You wrote "I discovered this full Free Mason outfit set..." Then you said you don't own it.

I don't want to be confrontational, but we aren't mind readers and it does help to know ownership and why you want identification or appraisal...  knowing that information will help people here give you the best of their advise...

And I guess that's why the information written on the tag, which is attached to one of the pieces, wasn't included by OP.   The tag quite possibly went into storage with the uniform, giving the owner's name, degree, lodge, dates, and so on.

-

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for the plethora of information!

The woman running the estate sale wouldn't sell it until she did more research; She contacted me this morning and said no lower than $700 which, to me, seems a bit outrageous; I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that. I am unfamiliar with these boards and ettiquite and the first response from another user of "you have to pay me" and correcting the spelling felt offputting and unwelcoming, though the suggestions were helpful.

I would not have laid it on the porch or suitcase, either, she did all the unpacking of the items as well as their placement 😉

Again, thank you for your help and suggestions! I appreciate your time.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Hi,

The tag was placed on the sword by the woman running the estate sale. It was separate from the suitcase, and she did not know it was part of a set until we found the uniform. It doesn't have any specific information, just a best guess as to its age and affiliation. Thank you.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@livialeigh04 wrote:...

the first response from another user of "you have to pay me" and correcting the spelling felt offputting and unwelcoming, though the suggestions were helpful.

It's a joke, common to these boards in a dozen variations.

The spelling correction was to help you, so you could do the right research, here and elsewhere. 

If you look at my eBay profile here, you may decide I am not "unhelpful."

As Pixzee said, to get help you have to give help by providing all the information you can, right upfront. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@livialeigh04 wrote:
She contacted me this morning and said no lower than $700 which, to me, seems a bit outrageous;

Like I said, I am no expert, but outrageous might be putting it mildly, considering recent sales. I wonder if she really did any research, it would be interesting to know how she came up with that figure.

I would guess that if she ever does sell it, it will go for much less than $700. If it belonged to a famous Grand Master perhaps it might go that high? But even if it were a Grand Poobah (Worshipful Master) of a lodge of 100 members in Littlefork Iowa, I doubt that the outfit would go very much higher than the highest of what we see on eBays recent sold comparables. Also, it seems to be missing the apron.

Wise of you to search it's value, but this one wasn't for you. If she is a professional estate sale agent, I might skip her sales in the future.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply