cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counterfeit coins all over the dam place...eBay does NOTHING to prevent it or stop it

WOW! the amount of FAKE coins appearing all over eBay is getting to the point where I dont even want to purchase off eBay any longer.

I purchase a LOT of silver coins here... but, with the ever growing amount coming from China, then resold here in the USA as real is making me VERY weary to purchase anything any longer.

I have reported auction after auction after auction to eBay with NO results... they just go on and finish...

eBay is WORTHLESS at stopping these and removing the accounts when reported.... I purchase a lot of ten Barber half dollar coins this past month, two were counterfeit coins.  And these were from a known seller to always be good with finding them prior to selling them....

I WILL leave a negative to those sellers who do not send coins out as promised on their auctions. (within 24 hours means...WITHIN 24 HOURS) and PLEASE.. for Gods sake... upload the tracking number so we the buyer can keep an eye on them while in shipment... to many thieves in the postal system these days.

MY opinion!!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Counterfeit coins all over the dam place...eBay does NOTHING to prevent it or stop it

Ebay wouldn't know fake coins, or fake anything. There are fakes sold. Reporting listings is ineffective because how would ebay know a fake coin from looking at a listing picture even if you do? They would have to have the reported fake coin in their hands and let an expert examine it.

All you can do is file a Not as described claim and get your money back unless you want to pursue legal remedies on your own.

I am sure there are a lot of people holding a fake coin, thinking it's the real thing. They may not know the signs of fake like you would.

As far as shipping, that's another beast. I agree on tracking and mailing promptly. Everything I sell is sent with tracking, for my protection as well as for the buyer's convenience. On occasion though, shipments are delayed or slow for one reason or another, by the USPS, but no fault to the seller.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: Counterfeit coins all over the dam place...eBay does NOTHING to prevent it or stop it

Fake coins, fake designer goods, fake everything. Ebay is too big to police. Buy or don't buy; it's always been a risk.
Janet
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

For those of us that don't know, how do you spot a fake coin?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Always get a certificate of authenticity (COA) to protect your investment.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Half or more of the coins, antiques, antiquities, collectibles, artworks, and tribal arts, crafts and artifacts listed on eBay at this moment are misrepresented -- sometimes innocently, sometimes intentionally.  There are many millions of listings on any given day, and eBay couldn't police them even it wanted to.  Nor can you. 

This is a huge international free-for-all and flea market, and I'm convinced the very phrase "caveat emptor" was coined by someone who could see into the future and saw eBay. 

All you can do is educate yourself and protect yourself.  It is up to each buyer to do this.  There is nothing you can do on anyone else's behalf.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@claysdee wrote:

For those of us that don't know, how do you spot a fake coin?

some are obvious,strolling thru SE Asia streets,you see all kind of silver coins issued by USA,Britain,Germany,France etc,but if you hold them all and look at the edge,they are all stuck the same way,how is it possible?

Also they look silver but there is no silver content.

Buy from big precious metal dealers,there are a few on Ebay,APMEX is the largest

Message 7 of 7
latest reply