cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charles Dickens books

Hello, hope that I am posting this in the right place. I want to know if anyone has information on my books by Charles Dickens or where I can go online to read and learn more about them.

ACFAB56E-BE48-43ED-9225-93C017D70A91.jpeg

Thanks

Are you a GOOD witch, or a BAD witch??.....(IM a sandwich)
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Charles Dickens books

maxine & argon have already given you great input with very little to go on...let me add my 2 cents.

It looks like you have 2 volumes (XIV & XV...or 14 & 15 if I haven't totally forgotten my Roman Numerals) of this Dickens set:

https://www.abebooks.com/Works-Charles-Dickens-32-volumes-complete/30912542289/bd

...and a set minus 1 volume for sale here on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143991361911?hash=item21868dd177:g:EuQAAOSwBTVgYPv- 

You can see that Houghton Mifflin Company is the publisher of this set, which at least gives you a start on further research...maybe you'll get lucky & someone likes to collect different versions of David Copperfield or happens to be missing those particular volumes from their set or just likes the look of yours.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

There are, literally, thousands of different editions of the works of Charles Dickens, and that's just in the English language.   This looks like it may be only two volumes out of a multi-volume set of the complete works.

No one can help you unless you show the title page and the page with all the publisher / edition / copyright information.

It would be surprising if the books have much monetary value, but who can say without knowing the edition.

If you feel confident that you can be sure of the edition you are looking at, for comparison, you can find info on ABE, Alibris, AddAll, Biblio, FetchBook, and other websites.

=

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The binding on the spines is attractive. As Maxine indicates, they're unlikely to interest a book collector unless there's something very special about them, but people do sometimes buy books for home decor without bothering too much about the content.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Hi, thanks for the response. I did try to upload a few more pictures at the time of my posting but I kept getting an alert in a red box. I’ll try to add them again. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thank You argon38. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

maxine & argon have already given you great input with very little to go on...let me add my 2 cents.

It looks like you have 2 volumes (XIV & XV...or 14 & 15 if I haven't totally forgotten my Roman Numerals) of this Dickens set:

https://www.abebooks.com/Works-Charles-Dickens-32-volumes-complete/30912542289/bd

...and a set minus 1 volume for sale here on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143991361911?hash=item21868dd177:g:EuQAAOSwBTVgYPv- 

You can see that Houghton Mifflin Company is the publisher of this set, which at least gives you a start on further research...maybe you'll get lucky & someone likes to collect different versions of David Copperfield or happens to be missing those particular volumes from their set or just likes the look of yours.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

OP;s books may or may not be from one or the other of these sets.  Without edition information, there is no way to know.   I wonder about that 1894 - 1900 date in the second listing, which may be the copyright date of the first edition but not the publication date of that particular set.  

Until we can see the title page and the page with the publication / edition / copyright info. we just cannot say what OP has.

=

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

-Thanks maxine...I was going for the similar cover pattern identifying the publisher as a start for further research...not extrapolating that either of the examples was the exact set OP's books are from. Maybe I muddied the waters attempting to clear them, ha-ha!

-I also wondered & took the eBay listing's date with a grain of salt since it didn't include a photo of any relevant publication/edition/copyright info...another case of can't tell a book just by its cover, eh?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

What you found is an enormous help, because I think you did find the publisher.  And considering how my publishers have done sets of Dickens, that's no small thing.  I'm just frustrated at being unable to go beyond that because the key info is all missing.

=

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Since these are only two volumes from the set, there will probably be very little interest for most potential buyers, unless there are some very well-done illustrations, which may be the only selling point for your copies.

Keep in mind -- all of Dickens' books have been available to read online for FREE since the advent of the internet, which makes "public domain" titles such as DAVID COPPERFIELD hard to sell; so any outstanding individual characteristics that you can find (eg, illustrations; annotated editions; unusual introductions and/or forewords and/or afterwards; etc) should be heavily emphasized in any future listing.

Good luck!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Hello all , thank you for your help. I can’t seem to upload the other pictures I have of my books. They have marble? Covers. They have a copyright date of 1894 by Houghton, Mifflin & Co. One page reads as follows:

“The Personal History of David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. Illustrated with Engravings on Steel

In two volumes”

Then at the bottom of that same page it reads:

“Boston and New York

Houghton Mifflin Company

The Riverside Press Cambridge”

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Hello. Yes those are the books I have. Thank You So Much for your help. For everyone’s help. I do appreciate it very much. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

First editions from Riverside have the words “First Published (year)” on the copyright page with no additional printings listed.

https://www.biblio.com/first-edition-identification/

https://www.biblio.com/publisher/riverside-press

=

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Thank you Maxine, you’ve been really helpful. I will look into that link you have provided. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply