cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Anyone have any idea how to tell if a cell is an important one or just a homemade one?

Purchased a cell many years ago. Just liked the picture.  There are no markings anywhere on the item.  Maybe it is just hand done but thought i would check it out.  The 2nd and 3rd pictures the pictures are on plastic. Last picture is heavy paper. 001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cell Anyone have any idea how to tell if a cell is an important one or just a homemade one?

It's from Disney 1934 "The Goddess of Spring".

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Cell Anyone have any idea how to tell if a cell is an important one or just a homemade one?

I just wanted to point out that the proper spelling is cel, short for celluloid animation.

Is that a witch in the smoke/flames in the 3rd? Possibly Disney.

You might want to put the second one with the devil dancers in a google image search.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Here is a Wikipedia link to the process: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cel 

Yours looks like the earlier cellulose nitrate cels because of the warping damage.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

My first impression and guess was Fantasia. I would have to watch the movie (again) to confirm anything beyond a guess and impression.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Hey, start watching, we all have extra stay-at-home time right now.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@sunny_ell wrote:

Great identification! Here's the scene on YouTube, to save people from having to search:

https://youtu.be/JuVRi9XzNpk?t=297

Cellulose nitrate is highly flammable and can release hazardous gases as it degrades, so OP should maybe seek out some expert conservation advice.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Thanks argon38. I didn't know how to post it like that.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@sunny_ell wrote:

Thanks argon38. I didn't know how to post it like that.

Yeah, it's a really useful feature. You can pause any YouTube video at the point you want, then right-click and select "Copy video URL at current time" from the menu. That generates a link with a timestamp that you can paste and send to people. When they click on the video, it'll start at the point you selected.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Now, that is neat -- and new to me, too.  Thanks.  I am an inveterate right-clicker and yet had never right-clicked on a You Tube video while watching.

In the past,  I've posted the URL for a video with a note to start watching at "X" point;  e.g., "Start at about 13:05."   This is better!

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Thank You!! Bought it an a Disney auction and was thinking it was from Fantasia at the time but it wasnt. I honestly never head of the Goddess of spring. Will check it out!
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Well, it's a good thing we didn't have that information when you started this thread!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Not me. I am an "essential" employee and still putting in 40hrs/week. A few weeks ago nobody gave a rat's *bleep* about whether I lived or died (including my employer), now I am deemed "essential." LOL. Just wish I had pay commensurate with my "responsibilities" of being "essential."...The times they are a'changing.

And besides all my free time is devoted to one of my collections at present, compiling a list of Fred Harvey postcards. My list should hit about 3000 different ones soon with about 11,000 bits (postmarks, publishers, owned or not yet owned, title, etc) of hand typed data about those postcards. I am a data miner and it keeps me pretty busy at present.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Yeah, but the Fred Harvey collectors must love you!

I helped broker a huge collection of a Fred Harvey Indian Detours driver years ago. All kinds of stuff collected driving tourists to the pueblos etc. And yes a box of postcards but it's all gone to the four winds. One of the most exciting collections I was ever involved with.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

your talking about explosives, were is the FBI when you need them.
HINC HVMILIBVS VENIA

HINC RETRIBVTO SVPERBIS

MISERICORDIAS DOMINI IN AETERNVM CANTABO AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM
Message 15 of 15
latest reply