cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone tell me about my family's antique Asian (Japanese?) art tray?

I have a mystery tray that was handed down to me after my grandma passed in 1997. I always understood that my Norwegian great grandparents received it as a wedding gift in 1894 in North Dakota. However,  after doing some research online lately, am I to understand that this is more of an Art Deco piece? If so, then maybe it was a wedding gift to my grandparents in 1929...

It measures about 20"W x 11.75"L. Under the glass is a very pretty scene but I don't know what it's made of  (Possibly painted silk, another painted fabric or something else??)  I also don't know if the handles are resin or painted wood, but they're dark blue in color. It's surrounded by an ornate (wood?) frame and the back is lined with felt.

I've included three photos; one of the overall tray; a closeup of one of the handles where you can also see part of the frame; and one of the back. (In the photo of the front of the tray, unfortunately you may notice reflections of my light fixture above, even though it was turned off and all drapes & blinds were closed.) 

If anyone can provide me with any information about this tray, such as its age, where it was made, how common were they, a possible value (for insurance purposes, as I won't sell it),  anything you can tell me about it... would be greatly appreciated.

Also, another ebay seller has a tray VERY similar to mine for sale. I've contacted him for more information, but he doesn't know much about his either. He thought the artist "could" be "Marigold or Tsanya" but wasn't sure. (I don't know anything about them as I have no knowledge of this type of antique.) You can vew his listing for more photos. (I don't feel it's right to give a direct link to his listing but you could search for "antique asian art serving tray".)

Thank you!

Kaye

Fargo, ND

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Can anyone tell me about my family's antique Asian (Japanese?) art tray?

One exactly like yours sold on another on-line venue, and one exactly like yours is for sale now on a different on-line venue.  So it isn't rare, but you might call it scarce.   You can find these with a Google image search, using the terms Janet suggested.

Yes, it's probably a lithograph, as the existence of the duplicates indicates, but I suppose it might have been reproduced in some other way.  The other two sellers call it a lithograph, and both described the frame and handles as being made of wood.   I think the felt was added later.

The one that sold, sold for less than $200 and the one currently for sale is listed for less, so its monetary value is not great, although its value to you, as a piece of family history, is.  It is from the 1929 wedding, not the earlier one, by the way. 

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: Can anyone tell me about my family's antique Asian (Japanese?) art tray?

Ooops.  More or less a cross-post with LittleFont.   I was busy composing instead of attending.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 17
latest reply