cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help me ID this old hand-painted pottery vase maker's mark / stamp? THANKS!

Any help greatly appreciated...  looks to me like an "S" and an elongated "A" superimposed inside a 

purple or violet wreath stamp...  It is numbered and has numbers under the glaze as well (maybe clues as to age or country?)  ... I know nothing so any information will be helpful and much appreciated!  

DPDSC08099.JPGDSC08100.JPGDSC08101.JPGDSC08102.JPGDSC08103.JPGDSC08104.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Can anyone help me ID this old hand-painted pottery vase maker's mark / stamp? THANKS!

Still have my fingers crossed that someone might recognize the maker's stamp... or, have some insight into this piece.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: Can anyone help me ID this old hand-painted pottery vase maker's mark / stamp? THANKS!

"AS" = Alfred Stellmacher 

"Turn bei Teplitz, Bohemia, Austria-Hungarian Empire, (now Teplice, Czech Republic). 
Kaiserliche & königliche Porzellanwerke / Imperial & Royal Porcelain Works

Alfred Stellmacher began working at the Imperial & Royal Porcelain Works in Vienna, but opened his own factory in 1859, in Turn-Teplitz. In 1894 Ernst Wahliss  (b.1836) took over the Alfred Stellmacher factory. The factory was renamed Ernst Wahliss Kunst, Porzellan und Fayence Fabrik. His Vienna store which sold porcelain and ceramic wares was established in 1863. Ernst died in 1900. Two years later his sons, Hans and Erich, bought 600 moulds from the Imperial and Royal Porcelain Manufactory in Vienna. Using these molds they started making reproductions of Vienna porcelain. In 1905 the company was renamed as Alexandra Porcelain Works Ernst Wahliss. In 1907 the factory was acquired by Gerhard Martin Wahliss. In 1910 the factory focused on production of faience. The factory temporarily closed during World War I. In 1921 it became part of Porzellanfabrik Union AG and in 1929 production ended. 

Meanwhile by 1892 Alfred Stellmacher had encouraged his son and sons-in-law to establish a porcelain manufactory, called Riessner, Stellmacher & Kessel or The Amphora Porcelain Works. "

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Oh, yes, I did forget to credit (though I used quotation marks-- didn't mean to plagiarize).

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Amazing!!  ... many thanks for all your help, you are a genius!  (Sometimes the genius overlooks the simple mundane logistics)

DP

Message 6 of 6
latest reply