cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Artist name limited edition print

I bought a limited edition print dated 1996 called "Frida's Corner" but can not identify the artist name.  Can anyone help identify the artist? 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frida_Kahlo&ved...

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for the link regarding Frida Kahlo.  I am trying to identify the particular artist who made and signed the print.  

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I can't help with the name but note the copyright which I think is GAF.

Rita

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear the strange bluey-green effect may be due to extreme fading. I think her lips were originally red, and the cord around her neck yellow.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It does not seem faded, it seems like intentional muted coloring by the artist but I can't be sure.  I like that the artist used one of Frida's own pieces with her monkeys, and jumped the monkey from her lap out in front with flowers.  The flowers are more yellow.  I feel like the piece pays respect to Frida.    I tried a google image search on the picture and also the signature but that came up with nothing.  Hopefully someone out there can identify the artist.  Sticker on the back shows "The Frame Game" in Cincinnati Ohio which is a custom frame shop. Framing is very well done. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@frigidfingersdesigns wrote:

It does not seem faded, it seems like intentional muted coloring by the artist but I can't be sure.  I like that the artist used one of Frida's own pieces with her monkeys, and jumped the monkey from her lap out in front with flowers. 

Ah, I see the cord is orange in Frida Kahlo's original, not yellow:

merlin_139498173_939badcd-343c-447e-abca-2950002a9225-superJumbo

I could be wrong, but in all honesty I still feel your mystery print may have started out bright but then exposed to the sun.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Oops, I forgot the photo credit:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/arts/design/frida-kahlo-voice.html 

Whose are the copyright initials on the print? They're clearly not the artist's.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@frigidfingersdesigns wrote:

It does not seem faded, it seems like intentional muted coloring by the artist but I can't be sure.

I'm trying to think of a way to distinguish sunlight fading from an intentional artistic effect that gives a faded look. One thing you could maybe do is remove the print from the frame, and check if there's any significant difference between the white background area protected by the mat and the exposed white margin surrounding the image.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply