cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Art Nouveau pedestal mirror with lamp - who made it?

I once found another one on the Internet but neglected to save the page. Now I can't find another one anywhere, so apparently I'm searching on all the wrong terms. 

What can you tell me about this? I'm assuming c. 1890-1910. The wiring has been updated. Not sure about the metal -- potmetal or something better? It does have a nice patina.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Photobucket

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Art Nouveau pedestal mirror with lamp - who made it?

This may be the link you're looking for, as the item is very similar to yours:
https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/6069571-art-nouveau-toilet-mirror-with-lamp

That describes the item as French, c 1910, but I don't know if that is accurate. 

It's hard to say if the wiring has been updated, or simply indicates a reproduction.

A Google image search brought up several others in the same general style but whether they're real or repros I can't say, so I hope someone more knowledgeable comes along to help. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@kitchensinque 

I was able to find several somewhat similar looking items by searching "art-nouveau  antique lily lamp mirror":

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&biw=1540&bih=821&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=GbvyXNGMCIPu_QaAna-...

No idea if they are related, inspired-by, or the inspiration for your item, though.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Yes, I found those and more.  It was the very fact of finding so many that made me wonder if they're all originals or if some are bound to be reproductions.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Yes, I found those and more.  It was the very fact of finding so many that made me wonder if they're all originals or if some are bound to be reproductions.

Aside from the one in your link, the others I am finding are all in the same pattern, with a frog. I'm not seeing any in the OP's specific design.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thanks, you wouldn't believe how many different keywords I used to search that came up empty. Sheesh.

One thing is for sure is that there is a fabric electric cord that has been updated. I have no idea how old that is. 1940s? I did always wonder if it's a repro.

Photobucket

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@kitchensinque wrote:

I did always wonder if it's a repro.

The one with the frog is all over Worthpoint (and other sites), but your pattern seems very hard to find. Maybe that's a good sign?

I did see one example of the frog design with a Tiffany mark (according to the listing):

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/tiffany-studios-art-nouveau-one-428518404

Which would presumably make the unmarked ones later copies (if the original was indeed by Tiffany, which I don't think we can be absolutely certain about).

But yours is different, anyway...

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Yes, the difference does make me feel better about it! There certainly is no mark whatsoever on it that I can find with a light and a magnifier. The one on Worthpoint seems to have the same cloth-covered electrical cord mine used to have.

Think the metal must be brass, no?

Anyway, I never did use it the way I wanted to when I bought it oh, 19 years ago, and now I have a much smaller house than the last 2 with no place for this baby. Guess I'll sell it as "no idea if real or repro" and let it rip. 

Photobucket

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@kitchensinque wrote:

Think the metal must be brass, no?

Could be bronze, not brass. Or maybe spelter (which is indeed a brass)? The greenish tinge certainly indicates the presence of copper. There's a test to differentiate bronze from spelter:

"A lot of people think they have bronzes and are disappointed when they find they have spelter," Eric says. To distinguish between the two, Eric suggests a simple test you can do at home. On the underside of the sculpture's base, scratch the piece's patina with another piece of metal. "If the scratch is a copper color, it's bronze," Eric says. "If it's silvery gray, it's spelter."

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/tips/metalsculpture.html

"To test for spelter, scratch the base of the piece. Bronze will appear as bright yellow while spelter will show a silvery scratch."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelter

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@kitchensinque wrote:

... The one on Worthpoint seems to have the same cloth-covered electrical cord mine used to have...

Ah, so you rewired it yourself, then.  I didn't understand that. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:

Aside from the one in your link, the others I am finding are all in the same pattern, with a frog. I'm not seeing any in the OP's specific design.

True.  The first link I gave was to a similar  design, and my comments were about ditto.  I didn't find one exactly like OP's, either, which I see as flowers (zinnias, I think) and bees (bumblebees, I think).   Charming thing.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for that link, argon. Don't know why I said "brass" because I meant "bronze." Eh, they start with the same letters. I will definitely check it out.

No, I didn't do the rewiring, but I am glad that a bit of the original still shows.

Photobucket

Message 12 of 12
latest reply