cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Hate the discussion board format? Wish there was a place to have a running chat like in the old ebay chat rooms that they took away?

Here is the solution, one thread devoted to chatting about anything and everything about coins all in the same place.

Post whatever is on your mind. There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started.

Message 1 of 11,869
latest reply
11,868 REPLIES 11,868

jody526
Thrill-Seeker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXqi0AyEfOA

"Aren't you suppossed to be out driving a truck or something jody?"

amrad78

Message 8761 of 11,869
latest reply

They had one like that  I believe 91 or 92.

The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.

Message 8762 of 11,869
latest reply

http://youtu.be/OPwK6QCveqk

http://youtu.be/IBv3JCQJgok

Message 8763 of 11,869
latest reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXqi0AyEfOA

Jody good job. I was looking for the same one. They showed that on wftv 9 news

Message 8764 of 11,869
latest reply

The one I just got how many are thier.

1,764,000 were struck. I'd guess around 40,000 to 80,000 exist in all grades today. By 1964, many had worn to the point that they were recycled by the Treasury and from 1979-80 many more were, undoubtedly, melted as silver scrap. Nowadays, SLQ coins with readable dates are worth enough over melt that they'd only be melted if they were damaged. Even silver Roosevelt dimes are sold at a slight premium over melt.

How many coins have and what coins have the M on them

MacNeil only designed that one coin. Not even a commemorative to his name.

Is theier other coins with a different momogram on them

Yes. Most American coins do.

Which coins

From that era Barber coins have B, Lincoln cents have a VDB (1909 and post 1917), Buffalo nickels have F, Mercury dimes and Walking Liberty halves have AW combined and so on.

Does or make a price change on coins with monograms

No, unless the monogram is missing like on the no FG Kennedy halves or no AW Walking Liberty halves.

Message 8765 of 11,869
latest reply

The one I just got how many are thier.

1,764,000 were struck. I'd guess around 40,000 to 80,000 exist in all grades today. By 1964, many had worn to the point that they were recycled by the Treasury and from 1979-80 many more were, undoubtedly, melted as silver scrap. Nowadays, SLQ coins with readable dates are worth enough over melt that they'd only be melted if they were damaged. Even silver Roosevelt dimes are sold at a slight premium over melt.

How many coins have and what coins have the M on them

MacNeil only designed that one coin. Not even a commemorative to his name.

Is theier other coins with a different momogram on them

Yes. Most American coins do.

Which coins

From that era Barber coins have B, Lincoln cents have a VDB (1909 and post 1917), Buffalo nickels have F, Mercury dimes and Walking Liberty halves have AW combined and so on.

Does or make a price change on coins with monograms

No, unless the monogram is missing like on the no FG Kennedy halves or no AW Walking Liberty halves.

Thanks. The ones that are missing how much more are they worth? Most momograms are older dates?

Message 8766 of 11,869
latest reply

The ones that are missing how much more are they worth?

It depends on the issue. Proofs missing the monograms/initials are generally worth more than business strikes. They lose them by too enthusiastic polishing of dies. Cherrypicker's Guides give suggested values, but Red Book and Coin Dealer Newsletter don't. Numismatic News' Coin Market mentions the no FG 1982-P ($40 in MS65) but not the others like 1966 and 1988-P nor the Walkers. Coin World's Coin Values mentions the 1941 no AW proof (worth only slightly more than a regular issue proof) but none of the others, the 1982-P no FG ($30 in MS65) but none of the others.

Most momograms are older dates?

No. All modern American coins have them, Felix Schlag's FS being added to the Jefferson nickel in 1966. Some modern commemoratives have two on a single side to denote both designer and sculptor.

Message 8767 of 11,869
latest reply

b4wemet
Trailblazer

Good Morning Everyone,

Did you notice the pics of your quarter yesterday Amy?

Message 8768 of 11,869
latest reply

b4wemet
Trailblazer

I sure have been having issues with posting these days. I don't see an option to put the pics in the body of the post and so I guess it decides whether or not to embed them? And it keeps deleting part of my posts and changing font sizes etc. I think LIVE WORLD is to blame....................

Message 8769 of 11,869
latest reply

Good Morning Everyone,

Did you notice the pics of your quarter yesterday Amy?

Yes I did and I do thank you

Message 8770 of 11,869
latest reply

hope these etcha scketches come out better than the copied ones:-D

Message 8771 of 11,869
latest reply

Message 8772 of 11,869
latest reply

B4 that happened a couple weeks ago. guess they havent fixed it yet

Message 8773 of 11,869
latest reply

The ones that are missing how much more are they worth?

It depends on the issue. Proofs missing the monograms/initials are generally worth more than business strikes. They lose them by too enthusiastic polishing of dies. Cherrypicker's Guides give suggested values, but Red Book and Coin Dealer Newsletter don't. Numismatic News' Coin Market mentions the no FG 1982-P ($40 in MS65) but not the others like 1966 and 1988-P nor the Walkers. Coin World's Coin Values mentions the 1941 no AW proof (worth only slightly more than a regular issue proof) but none of the others, the 1982-P no FG ($30 in MS65) but none of the others.

Most momograms are older dates?

No. All modern American coins have them, Felix Schlag's FS being added to the Jefferson nickel in 1966. Some modern commemoratives have two on a single side to denote both designer and sculptor.

Jeff thank you for the help and having the patience.

Next War nickels 3 cents. I dont get if its 3 cents why is it a nickel, Also do they have the 3 cents nickels witrh a shield.

Message 8774 of 11,869
latest reply

b4wemet
Trailblazer

Well I think it's a nice looking coin. I bought a 1923 last year that's in about the same condition. If you get bored with yours, I'll take it off your hands.

Message 8775 of 11,869
latest reply