cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miao Silver Counterfeit US Dollars

Has anyone noticed the rash of listings in recent weeks, mostly from China, of "Miao Silver" replicas?  They look just like circulated pre-1921 Morgan dollars, complete with wear and toning, along with the words "United States of America" and "One Dollar".  Most of these listings don't disclose that "Miao Silver" is actually base metal, with little or no silver content.  There is nothing on the coin to indicate that it is a replica or copy.  Since when is it legal to sell counterfeit US Dollars on eBay?  Is there any way to bring this to someone's attention?  I have reported several of these listings by the same seller, but they keep listing more of them!  People are paying between $10 and $15 each for these fakes.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

I do not know about these "coins" (very suspicious), but Miao silver craft (jewelry, headpieces, etc.) is hundreds of years old.  Miao silver jewelry is 60% silver.  Tibet silver jewelry, etc, on the other hand, is other base metal, but still lovely due to the craftsmanship. 

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

This is what Ihave read also- that Miao silver is actually 60% silver with alloys of copper and nickel.  You can Google it- see below:

Miao silver is not pure silver, but an alloy of silver, copper and nickel. It's a traditional material for making jewelry by craftsmen of Miao Hmong ethnic tribe. The percentage of silver is about 60%. Miao Hmong silver jewelry is distinctive for its design, style and craftsmanship.Sep 13, 2010

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

ty... now i can check off the "learn something new today" line on my list... maybe i'll even remember the next time somebody mentions Miao silver...

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

@*smedley* wrote:

ty... now i can check off the "learn something new today" line on my list... maybe i'll even remember the next time somebody mentions Miao silver...

Well... that may be a historical legitimate jewelry alloy in some parts of the world (or not), but I actually have some of these "Miao" "Silver Dollars" we're discussing and they don't have any 60% silver in them.  And some of them suspiciously are attracted to a magnet (not silver, copper, or nickel).

But it doesn't matter if they're pure silver... selling unmarked copies of U.S. Silver Dollars is illegal. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 19 of 37
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

But it doesn't matter if they're pure silver... selling unmarked copies of U.S. Silver Dollars is illegal. 

i actually wasn't even thinking of coins... i was thinking of jewelry as mentioned somewhere above...

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

It's a really moldy topic...

The "Miao" Dollars get listed with "Handwork", "Handiwork", etc... they  basically (if indirectly) are admitting right in the listing the item is "handmade jewelry" (a fake coin).  A lot of them were being listed in "Antiques" (as opposed to Coins & Paper Money).  It's all a scam, obviously, since they are of recent manufacture (not antique). 

I don't deal in Asian jewelry much (vintage or current production), I have no idea if "Maio" is really a legitimate jewelry alloy or not... anything that's "about" 60% silver sound spurious to me though. 

I looked around the www a bit... there's apparently some Miao folks in China who hold a festival and are known for their silverwork.  I also noticed the fine folks at the big famous national museum are offering some (in bracelet form) in their online gift shop... they make no claim about the actual silver content... I suspect it's minimal, based on the pricing of the items...

The Miao people of China and southeast Asia are known for their handmade jewelry—like these narrow Miao Silver Flower Cuffs with gracefully incised floral motifs. Fashioned from Miao silver (white copper and silver).  Set of 3, one each design. One size fits most wrists.

Museum Provenance

They recall Miao jewelry in the Sm********n’s Asian ethnological collections.

Every Smi*******n purchase will arrive with a museum provenance card explaining how it is adapted from or inspired by an object or objects in our collection.

White copper?  Hunting for that on the www results in mostly info. on copper-nickel alloys...

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

The BIG PROBLEM now is that I have noticed several auction houses in the US, Canada and Australia listing these and others as the genuine article.

So they have already slipped into the local/amateur collecting market... I even saw some (not even repacked or rebadged), at a coin fair recently...
Message 22 of 37
latest reply

I'm beginning to see large numbers of fake Morgan and seated Liberty dollars... They say " from China " pretty blatant that they are counterfeit. I ordered some and actually look quite impressive . ( although the weight is off ) I offered to purchase more.. I can get all I want. Any year or denomination 

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

Just curious, do you buy bogus coins for educational purposes?

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

@koindog wrote:

Just curious, do you buy bogus coins for educational purposes?

I have done this in the past, but the sellers mostly did not seem to learn anything from their experience...

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

You sound like a cop.

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

WOW!!! Congratulations!!!!

that is 100% absolutely for sure the very most germane post ever in the history of the interwebs...

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

@*smedley* wrote:

WOW!!! Congratulations!!!!

that is 100% absolutely for sure the very most germane post ever in the history of the interwebs...

That's pretty cool.

My old roommate, we'd go to parties, people would ask me "Hey, is that dude a cop?".  Never me though.

In any event, no I'm not a cop, but I'm sometimes willing to make life difficult for criminals given the opportunity. 

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

You guys are so funny. Those are coins for our clothes.

Message 30 of 37
latest reply