cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1793 Large Cent chain - What Sheldon type is mine please help

Good morning fine folks,  I have a Nice rare 1793 Large Cent I would like to chat about today and being I am not the coin guy my father was and I have limited info to go off of I am curious if anyone knows what Sheldon type I have.  I know it's grade is G4.  I think it is Sheldon 3 but not sure.  It is not easy getting a great quality picture if this isn't good enough I can go out and get a quick few with the sunlight on her.  I have some knowledge of coins maybe a year or so of studying, but my father who is no longer around left me these and I know this is the crown jewel when it comes to US mint so I want to be absoulty certain what I have. Massive difference on Price tag between Sheldon 1 and the others. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also I am on the fence about listing it soon so I want as much info your willing to share.  

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Or ethiopian hard to tell from that picture.  From what I can see it appears to be more of an inland austrailian where white cliffs is more coastal. Have you had a chance to do some research and ask around ? That's how I got most of my info. Plus there are tons of online sites that will help.  I had a small one like 2 ct once and for years thought it was austrailian till one day I showed a geomologist he gigled and said no sir what you have is a very nice Argentina stone here. So you never know what you got till you have an expert take a look. Have any better pics ? 

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

here's a few

s-l1600s-l1600s-l1600s-l1600

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Intresting piece. Now let me ask you do you keep this wet because I notice a nice size crack that will only get worse overtime unless it's kept in a jewel bag ( ring bag ) with fluid like water is fine. Plus it brings out the matrix much nicer.  Ya know your guess is as good as mine, but something in this is telling me that you could possibly have yourself a brazilain here. Not a tone of jelly in the white. Very unlikely this is cober pety.  I am still studing all the mines, but I would have to do more research to know for sure. What tells me this may not be cober is the blues and the checkerboard play is not consistant with that typical mine. It has great colors, but this may very well be from a different part of the world, but don't quote me on that haha

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Jesusrocks , Just thought I would let you know I am going live at 5pm west coast time with this coin I know you were interested in following and yes popcorn is ready.
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

great, looks good, that will be soooo exciting. 

One of those rare items where an auction is most likely the way to go.  Most of my items I run BIN since I get a little worried that they would just go too low.  So the down side is just not moving so much stuff, but eventually everything generally sells.

My items are ones that walk in the door at my shop mostly, however I source out items from other dealers that do not bother with eBay or really any retail sales.  I can hit paydirt or just have a humdrum time pickin' up items there.   Sometimes I find things that hit my aesthethic buttons, which are either sort of organic or just green- as in cold hard cash.   If it says Georg Jensen or DA (David Anderson) and looks mid century modern I like it for both reasons.

I found a Mikimoto pearl pin today so that was fun.  I consigned it for sale.  Coins have been a little flat lately (to say the least), and my guy who used to sell me 3-4 rolls of BU UNC Morgans every other week has run out.   So I am having  VAM with drawel, and have  been off scouring other nooks and crannys. 

Haven't posted for awhile, and most likely this is just dear diary here, but thanks, anyways , happy trails ~Lori

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Lori,

Thanks for the reply back, Yes this should be exciting. Last night was a roller coaster as I jumped from 565 to over 2k in like a 45 minute span. I was blown away that two or three were fighting over position and there is still 6 days to go.  I really am crossing my fingers that this reaches upwards of 4 to 5 if not more. I will be somewhat sad if it doesn't grow from where I am right now.   See with this little guy anything is possible where I saw last week one in decent shape get less then what I am hoping then there was one I watched that was similar in a buy it now that was listed in march and sold for over 8k so like I said this will be very intresting.   This is not the first one I have listed either. About 10 years ago I had one in worse shape, because I wanted a nicer one that I had purchased and eBay it and got way more then I expected....

I had an account years ago that I was pretty active on sold lots of fun stuff. I was working crazy hours and I never saw the Email they closed it down on me becuase I let 30 days elaspe kinda sad becuase I had like 700 feed back all positive.  So about 6 months ago I decided to do this again and it's been so hard to build this feedback up. I swear about 1 in every 6 things I sell I get feedback on so my # doesn't reflect how many items I have sold. It's not hard to just say a few nice things after your get your item so that's frustraing. Also sellers protection has gone way down hill since I was active last I can't believe it.  Almost like the site has lost its panache.  

My father was actually the coin and jeweler guru and he get me into this fun.   Suprisingly enough he was the one that told me to go garage sale hopping and wow when you go to nice areas you can find gems that are flipable to 50x more then imaginable.  About a year ago I found a singer sewing machine from the 1940's that he claimed was broke. I got it back to the house spent maybe 2 hours on it and a part and bam back to normal. A little restoration in the wood and paint and sold out for an insane amount. Lets just say it paid the bills for 4 months hahaha

Well thanks again and take care for now 

Michael 

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Alas, I did not get a chance to watch it, was off doing something else.  Were you pleased with the results?  Good buyer???

I am thinking that the other one you sold may have set the bar too high...and with the way things are it may be ok as long as the buyer is solid.   If the economy was worse off in the future it might not bring as much.  It did go over that 2K level...

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Yes, It did sell for about what I expected. I was hoping for a little more, but it was a fair market price I suppose. Last second bid swooped in and snagged it.  I haven't recieved payment as of yet, but I am sure he will pay. Glad it won't have a big distance to travel. That will be the nerve wrecking part is the shipping portion. I got 3500 for it was hoping over 4, but it is what it is. Fair enough. Someday I will replace it.   I had alot of watchers close to 50 and almost 1k veiws. At one time the day before I was the 11th highest auctioned item so that was kinda cool. Almost famous for a weekend.  It was stuck in the mid 2k range for most of the week so I was pretty sad no movement, but sunday things picked up so that was good.

Michael 

Message 23 of 23
latest reply