cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seller declined

I bought this M****** coffee machine costing £369.97 from ebay retailer A********* (ebay number _________  retailer order number _______) and it was delivered 25 November 2023.

It was bought as a present for my husband and therefore I’d ordered it in advance.

As a consequence it wasn’t first used until early January and the problem where it would not dispense coffee did not develop until right at the end of January 2024.  

This is a very costly machine and there is no way I can afford to let the matter rest, or indeed pay for the repair of the machine myself as the manufacturer M******are now suggesting.

The manufacturer M****** had issued a 10 year guarantee  in response to my completing the online registration process outlined on a card in the box (see email guarantee certificate attached – “Congratulations to 10 years of hassle-free coffee”).  This process included entering the serial number of the machine, which I did.

When I first contacted M******on 29 January 2024 they explained a special cleaning routine to resolve the fault.  I carried out this very involved routine and it worked for a couple of coffee dispenses and then stopped working again.  The same thing happened when I did it again..

There is obviously something very wrong with the machine as it stops functioning after a couple of uses, and the ‘fix’ proposed by M******is messy, involved, very time consuming and definitely shouldn’t be happening.
This is a new machine that has only had a few months a use and unfortunately most of that time it has been out of action!  It has now not been used since the middle of February 2024.

The retailer washed its hands of it saying in an email on 29 January 2024 that it’s outside their 30 day return period, and are now not answering my emails.

At first M******offered to repair the machine at their cost.

But when they saw the warranty they had issued to me (attached) they then said the machine model was discontinued and therefore the warranty did not apply.

When I challenged this, they then said the warranty did not apply to the model of machine I had purchased – yet I had entered the serial number of the machine in order to register the machine for the warranty they had issued to me!  They are now refusing to honour the warranty on the basis that it is only valid if the machine was bought from a recognised M******supplier, and that despite the warranty stating it was for 10 years, that M******only issue 2 year warranties.

M******are now saying that I will have to pay to have the machine repaired at my own cost, unless the retailer A********* can provide evidence that they bought it from a recognised M******supplier.

In an attempt to short-circuit things, I have asked A********for the information requested by M******, but A******** are not answering my emails, even when I’m only asking for some basic information.

I also volunteered as a sign of good faith to agree to the term of my M******warranty being reduced from 10 to 2 years if that assisted M******in some way.

The fact is M******issued me with the 10 year guarantee warranty certificate, which makes no reference to any website terms & conditions or other ‘get-out clauses’ which they are now trying to argue absolve them of any responsibility at all. 

I stress this was
an unopened, brand new machine, manufactured by M******,  how can a warranty not be applicable when they  issued a warranty to me? 

It was M******’s responsibility to refuse to issue a warranty/guarantee if they considered there was a get-out clause they could rely on.  M******did not do this at the time.

Again I repeat however that this was an unopened, brand new machine – how on earth can a warranty not be applicable, especially as they issued me with one!!

I consider M******are being disingenuous and obstructive in not agreeing to at least repair the machine free of charge;  But moreover, given the circumstances, I consider that either A*********  or M****** must be prepared to take back the machine and give me a refund.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

seller declined

I consider that either A*********  or M****** must be prepared to take back the machine and give me a refund.

@north-barn 

Since the eBay MBG has passed, can you fall back on your CC (<180 days) to be made whole?  🤔

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

seller declined

Unless the coffee maker was purchased through an authorized dealer, most manufactures will not stand behind their warranties because you are not the original buyer.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

seller declined

The problem is there  is no  warranty on most items sold on eBay.  Most eBay sellers are not factory dealers and can't offer a warranty.  Items sold by non factory dealers are considered second hand sales and most warranties don't transfer.

eBay covers you for 30 days from delivery.  After that your on your own. If you paid by credit card, contact your card company. If not, the payment service you used.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

seller declined

I didn't read the full novel but I read enough to see that the item was delivered on 25 November 2023. 

You had until December 25, 2023 to test the machine and file a dispute if it was NAD. 

You're 4 months too late. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

seller declined

@north-barn 

Check with the laws in your country. They may vary from what we here in the USA are subjected to.

You may want to ask on the UK boards.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply