cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seller agrees 2 fullrefund after item snad, without return,no case open, asks for my paypal address?

I got an item that was SNAD. I sent seller a message through ebay without opening case. He replied very nicely, agreed the item was SNAD and asked for my paypal email address to send full refund, asked me not to open case. He also said not to mail item back, just keep it. It's useless to me.

1.    I'm guessing if he just clicks on "refund" on paypal website, something bad will happen to him, like strike against him? Thats why he's asking for my paypal address?

2. If he send me the money via paypal without using "refund" button, wont it charge me a fee?

3.   I"m ok with doing it his way, I just want my money back. But  I'm at risk doing it this way, right? Why is that exactly?

Trying to think this through...

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

seller agrees 2 fullrefund after item snad, without return,no case open, asks for my paypal address?

You have protections using eBay called the Money Back Guarantee (MBG).  This is the most protective of you and you should use it!  By going the PP route you will cancel the MBG!  Once a buyer files with PP, the MBG is voided.  DO NOT DO THAT!

What you may not aware of is that IF you file with PP or let it go that route YOU, not the seller, are responsible for the postage to return the item.  You will not get your refund until the tracking shows the item was delivered.  If you file a SNAD with eBay, the seller is responsible for return shipping or if they don't want it back, can just straight up refund you.

So if you want to take chances, do what the seller suggests.  If it were me and the seller suggested garbage like that I would immediately file a SNAD with eBay and get my money back!

Good luck!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The seller didn't say to file with PayPal they Claimed they were going to send money to the op through PayPal.  It seems the risk would be on the seller I mean you could be like sure and then file a not as described anyhow and get money both ways... So I'm not sure why the seller is suggesting this way. I'd be skeptical but I'm not sure of risks unless they're hoping you fall for a fake payment received email but again Youd still be able file not as described when you discovered you didn't actually get money...

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@freshani,

"I'm guessing if he just clicks on "refund" on paypal website, something bad will happen to him, like strike against him? Thats why he's asking for my paypal address"?

It sounds to me like the seller is new or inexperienced. Did you check their feedback profile before buying from them?  

Even if you file a SNAD that does not automatically give the seller a defect. It depends on their return policy and  how they respond to the dispute that counts. If they refund quickly, ebay  may consider it a satisfactory solution, and the seller isn't punished, they are out the final value fees they paid for the item. Leaving a positive feedback afterwards could help get a possible defect removed if the seller contacts customer service.

You can also try messaging the seller and ask them to cancel the completed transaction. By doing that if they refund your payment directly from the PayPal transaction, they can point to the message and get a possible defect removed.  In your cancellation message do not mention Not as Described.  Then they do not need your paypal email address. 

"If he send me the money via paypal without using "refund" button, wont it charge me a fee?"

NO, money recipients are not charged a fee.

"I"m ok with doing it his way, I just want my money back. But  I'm at risk doing it this way, right? Why is that exactly?"

The risk is the seller would have the email address linked to your PayPal account.  That is a minimal risk though, because they do not have any of your other info.  People use PayPal's send Money system every day.  You are not really at risk in terms of the transaction, since you would have the item and a refund. However, it sets a bad precedent for the seller, who should learn from their errors, and not continue to

miss-describe or omit info about an item in their listings.

Tell them to do a google search for ebays policy  "How to handle a return request as a seller on ebay"

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@freshani,

"I'm guessing if he just clicks on "refund" on paypal website, something bad will happen to him, like strike against him? Thats why he's asking for my paypal address"?

It sounds to me like the seller is new or inexperienced. Did you check their feedback profile before buying from them?  

Even if you file a SNAD that does not automatically give the seller a defect. It depends on their return policy and  how they respond to the dispute that counts. If they refund quickly, ebay  may consider it a satisfactory solution, and the seller isn't punished, they are out the final value fees they paid for the item. Leaving a positive feedback afterwards could help get a possible defect removed if the seller contacts customer service.

You can also try messaging the seller and ask them to cancel the completed transaction. By doing that if they refund your payment directly from the PayPal transaction, they can point to the message and get a possible defect removed.  In your cancellation message do not mention Not as Described.  Then they do not need your paypal email address. 

"If he send me the money via paypal without using "refund" button, wont it charge me a fee?"

NO, money recipients are not charged a fee.

"I"m ok with doing it his way, I just want my money back. But  I'm at risk doing it this way, right? Why is that exactly?"

The risk is the seller would have the email address linked to your PayPal account.  That is a minimal risk though, because they do not have any of your other info.  People use PayPal's send Money system every day.  You are not really at risk in terms of the transaction, since you would have the item and a refund. However, it sets a bad precedent for the seller, who should learn from their errors, and not continue to

miss-describe or omit info about an item in their listings.

Tell them to do a google search for ebays policy  "How to handle a return request as a seller on ebay"

Money recipients are charged a fee depending on how the money is sent   

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Also any SNAD opened does count against his seller metric no matter how it is resolved and that may be the seller's fear if they are close to the cut off to dropping below average.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

They do have the new returns metric though the seller may be trying to avoid that 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply