cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Retail Value? eBay Value"

I'm just curious why I see a lot of things on eBay that cost more than if you just bought it straight from the website itself. Is there a reason for this that I'm missing?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@danchrisronan24 Because the people selling the items on here directly from the retailers have to make money as well. It's called drop shipping for the most part. These sellers make their money off people who don't price shop. It's only when the package gets delivered in the retailer box they find out they could have gotten it cheaper and usually feel cheated. 

Hope this helps!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@danchrisronan24 Because the people selling the items on here directly from the retailers have to make money as well. It's called drop shipping for the most part. These sellers make their money off people who don't price shop. It's only when the package gets delivered in the retailer box they find out they could have gotten it cheaper and usually feel cheated. 

Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Oh Ok, so thats why this $7 item is listed on eBay as $17.

The weirdest part is ALL the listings for this item are like that, its probably all the same seller.

Thank you very much!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@danchrisronan24wrote:

Oh Ok, so thats why this $7 item is listed on eBay as $17.

The weirdest part is ALL the listings for this item are like that, its probably all the same seller.

Thank you very much!

I don’t know how the other responder came to the conclusion that it’s dropshippers. That’s actually not correct. I mean some might be dropshippers but many are just resellers who ship their own items. Regular resellers mark their items up, it’s how they make money.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@missjen831 That's why I said "It's called drop shipping for the most part." I mean some might be resellers who are marking up their items and shipping themselves, but many are just dropshippers. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

so people are actually dumb enough to pay double the price of an item, just because I forgot to go to the main website? That just seems so crazy to me!
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@danchrisronan24wrote:
so people are actually dumb enough to pay double the price of an item, just because I forgot to go to the main website? That just seems so crazy to me!

Pretty much. Not everyone is smart enough to do price comparisons. A lot of buyers seem to think eBay is like.....the low price leader or something. So they don’t do any price comparisons until after they’ve bought the item here and when they find the item for less at Amazon or Walmart they come here complaining! Also some retailers buy popular hot ticket hard to find items and flip them here for a profit. They also take advantage of sales and good deals. For example Casper sheets are a popular item at the moment because target has them on clearance, they are an expensive sheet I believe but target has them on clearance for a couple bucks. Resellers are snatching them up and selling them for retail/above retail. Don’t know if eBay resellers are but the ones on one of my venues are 🙂

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

okay I get it! Thanks so much for helping me understand it! It basically comes down to take an advantage when the opportunity arises. Which is really sad to see in our day, but you do what you got to do to make your living in my right? Have a great day and thanks again!
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

My bad, I said “some retailers” and I meant resellers!

you’re very welcome! And you are exactly right, it’s all about taking advantage! Always shop around before you commit to buy on eBay 🙂

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Anything is only worth what someone is freely willing to pay for it and what the owner is freely willing to take for it.  That is what sets the fair market value of the item at the time of the transaction.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I’ll tell this story again. I had some good razors listed, they sell at the store from $10-15. I had them priced at every price in between. No one bought them. I saw a seller had listed them for $99 so I had to ask if his are different. He said no but every once in a while someone will buy one & that was good enough for him. I don’t get it either.
I had gotten a whole case of them free so I kept lowering my price to no avail. He sold out if his stock. I donated mine.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 11 of 11
latest reply