cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Condition is used." description makes seller immune from Item Not As Described?

This past year, I've noticed more and more listings with "Condition is used." as the ONLY description of the item, almost always with "Seller does not accept returns." Absolutely no description of any cosmetic or functional defects. So is this seller IMMUNE from any "Item not as described." claim from a buyer since NOTHING is described? If I buy an expensive electronic instrument with this "description" and find that all the internal parts of the instrument are missing, am I out of luck?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

"Condition is used." description makes seller immune from Item Not As Described?

No.... there is nothing that a seller can write that will make them immune to an INAD claim. If that were the case, every seller would be doing it, and quickly! 

These are just lazy sellers who don't bother to write correct descriptions or probably take accurate photos. In fact just the opposite, by writing no real descriptions, they are setting themselves up for an INAD case. It's only a matter of time. When you find these listings just hit your back button and find the same item with another seller. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

eBay's definition of used is working.   If something is for parts not working it should be listed as for parts not working otherwise it would be not as described

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Hi I concur with @lamber9347 . No seller is immune to the Not As Described claim, no matter what they do or do not include with their listing information. Ebay's buyer protection is just about absolute in its effectiveness. This place is not a "Buyer Beware" kind of platform.

Ebay runs the whole gamut of members: from ultra-professional sellers to those who haven't a clue how to sell, and the trend you have noticed is really not good for sales. It is likely that sellers who do not adequately describe their items are setting themselves up for eventual failure. My pet peeve: those who include only "See pictures for condition." are particularly frustrating for buyers, sometimes made even worse with grainy, dark, or out-of-focus photographs.

So although I said eBay is not a "Buyer Beware" place, that doesn't mean buyers should not still be careful and vet their sellers. It takes both parties, buyer and seller, to make a transaction successful.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

There is nothing a seller can state in a listing - or not state - that will override ebay's MBG or return policy.  After a buyer files for a SNAD return, if the sellers accepts it, the seller can, after sending a return label, get their item back before refunding.  If they don't accept, ebay will refund, collect from the seller and not demand that the buyer return the item.  Then, no matter what CS has told them, they come to the boards and learn the ways of e-commerce on ebay.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The, "condition is used" statement populates automatically when an item is used and you are listing using the app on an Android. At least it does for me. I rarely use my phone to list, but did recently on a few items and the statement "condition is used" auto populated. For me, highly annoying as I write very detailed descriptions. It may be due to newer sellers who are used to creating listings at lighting speed without much thought (such as might be done when listing on newer platforms). I agree that it is an accident waiting to happen if a seller doesn't change it to something more concrete. It is also possibly quite damaging to other sellers and/or the entire ebay platform, as buyers who get burned by this type of thing simply won't return and will shop elsewhere.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Most important part of an ebay listing is the Condition category. Trumps Pictures / Descriptions / Return Policy Etc. 

Used means, it's fully functional, if it's not fully functional you return it get your money back and try again. 

avoid for parts not working, unless you are intentionally trying to buy something that is broken.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply