cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Because you showed interest in this item..."

"the seller sent you this private offer."

I've gotten a number of these lately and some of them have been great deals. But now I'm wondering how the seller knows I'm interested. The first time I got these, they were things on my watchlist, so I assume the seller was sending this to people who were watching the item. But then I got one for an item I'd looked at but was not watching. In that case, does the offer go to anyone who viewed this item? How does that work on the sellers' side--is it an option they can click when listing the item?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@salliemae wrote:

"the seller sent you this private offer."

I've gotten a number of these lately and some of them have been great deals. But now I'm wondering how the seller knows I'm interested. The first time I got these, they were things on my watchlist, so I assume the seller was sending this to people who were watching the item. But then I got one for an item I'd looked at but was not watching. In that case, does the offer go to anyone who viewed this item? How does that work on the sellers' side--is it an option they can click when listing the item?

That is (these are) a great question(s)! So you know, eBay automatically sends the seller a notification on the Seller Hub (the seller's selling page) that says: "Items that qualify for sending an offer" or similar. This is followed by a number. When the seller clicks on this link, it takes him to a page with all items on which he can send an offer. That is all the seller can see! 

As for eBay, it knows exactly who even just looked at the seller's item, and recently, it started to add those items, too, to the list where the seller can send an offer. This is all happening automatically, per programming - and the seller has no part in it (other than deciding whether or not to send an offer). I get these also, as a seller, and if the price I have listed the item is already the lowest I can accept - I will not send an offer to the potential buyer. If there is a little wiggle-room, then I would send an offer. 

I hope this helps, and thanks for letting us know that you enjoy getting these offers! At first, on this seller account, I was reluctant to send out offers as I do not wish to overwhelm buyers; but actually, many of my items sold after I have sent an offer. 

As a buyer - on other accounts - I actually enjoy getting these offers, like you, because I do get some excellent deals - and the ones I do not like, I simply delete from my messages. 

Have a nice evening!

PW🐿

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I believe that eBay informs the seller that one or more users (the seller does not know who) is either watching, has added the item to a cart, or has viewed the item more than once in a certain period of time. If eBay determines that an item has interested users that are eligible for offers, the seller can decide to make those offers, if the users have not opted out of receiving those offers or have not already received a certain number of offers already.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply