cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

defective item

Ordered a lot of items in advance for a dance recital. Delivered in March.

2 of the items have catches that broke upon first wear - we only noticed at weekend when we finally gave out costumes to try on.

Seller refusing refund - my argument it, even though it was March purchased, an item should last more than 8 weeks (and has only actually been tried on for size).

EBay UK site is sending me around in circles and I am getting nowhere.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

defective item

@wizardsam1975 wrote:

Ordered a lot of items in advance for a dance recital. Delivered in March.

2 of the items have catches that broke upon first wear - we only noticed at weekend when we finally gave out costumes to try on.

Seller refusing refund - my argument it, even though it was March purchased, an item should last more than 8 weeks (and has only actually been tried on for size).

EBay UK site is sending me around in circles and I am getting nowhere.

I do not know the rules and regulations of UK Ebay so i will reply with my opinion as a consumer of USA Ebay.

When making purchases, i typically will consider what returns or warranty the seller has stated on the listing. This gives you an idea of how each seller stands behind the products they sell. Once they do arrive, it is up to me to inspect each purchase to make sure they were described accurately or if they have any issues that will be problematic. Now if i was in your situations where i could not test/inspect and a few broke after 8 weeks, i would contact the seller to explain the situation to see if they could do something. I would not expect a refund but maybe a discount on any replacements might be a better angle.

I am sure this is not exactly what you wanted to hear and i am sorry it happened to you. Online purchasing can give us flexibility, options/more choices and better pricing. Unfortunately since we do not have the items in hand when purchasing, one must know your buyer protections (platform policy and seller return policy) and fully inspect items when they arrive.  Again i do not know what regulations EBAY UK has that differ then the US EBAY but protecting yourself is universal.

-Good Luck

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

defective item

@wizardsam1975,

The Money Back Guarantee (MBG) policies are the same on both the U.K. and U.S. sites.  There is a link to the policy on every ebay page just under the payment icons.  The protections are only in effect for up to 30 days from Tracking showing delivered or the last estimated delivery date if an item is not shipped with tracking.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 3
latest reply