cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worthy of neg feedback?

So, I asked the seller for the measurements of a vintage item I was interested in.

Seller replied and gave the measurements. Seller also said in the same message, because of the virus she will give the item a very good clean if I decide to buy it.

I decided to buy it.

Received the item today, I'm very happy with it, but the item hadn't seen a good clean for at least 40 years, it arrived very dirty.

I have cleaned the item, and it's in great condition for it's age, so I can't decide if I should leave a neg or not? 

What would you do?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Worthy of neg feedback?

Ordinarily I found that most collectors prefer not to have items cleaned by sellers unless they know that the seller is fully competent in performing the cleaning process.  However, since the seller did advise that they would clean it and you apparently didn't object, the seller should have done so.  Frankly, I'd probably merely not leave any feedback at all.  Especially if you may find the seller listing something else that catches your eye in the future.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Worthy of neg feedback?

For me at most I'd leave a neutral. Since everything else was great I wouldn't think neg worthy 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Worthy of neg feedback?

I'd just let it go since you're happy with the item.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Worthy of neg feedback?

@*madison wrote:

So, I asked the seller for the measurements of a vintage item I was interested in.

Seller replied and gave the measurements. Seller also said in the same message, because of the virus she will give the item a very good clean if I decide to buy it.

I decided to buy it.

Received the item today, I'm very happy with it, but the item hadn't seen a good clean for at least 40 years, it arrived very dirty.

I have cleaned the item, and it's in great condition for it's age, so I can't decide if I should leave a neg or not? 

What would you do?

Let it go, since you are happy with it - leave a positive. I don't clean any antique/vintage item before I sell it - and I would prefer the seller NOT clean it. Collectors know more about how they want to clean something then the seller does(and I  am a collector of things that I sell).

Lets say you bought a painted antique German toy, but it was dirty. Do you want someone that doesn't know how to do it properly clean it for you? Not me.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Worthy of neg feedback?

I'd leave a positive with a comment like, "Could have used a bit of a cleaning," and then the emoji of your choice. Your seller may remember her offer to clean it and feel duly chastised. I'd leave it at that.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Worthy of neg feedback?

Ordinarily I found that most collectors prefer not to have items cleaned by sellers unless they know that the seller is fully competent in performing the cleaning process.  However, since the seller did advise that they would clean it and you apparently didn't object, the seller should have done so.  Frankly, I'd probably merely not leave any feedback at all.  Especially if you may find the seller listing something else that catches your eye in the future.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Worthy of neg feedback?

I've decided buyers shouldn't rush to neg a seller.

I've had the item since yesterday, I liked the item yesterday, but today I love it. 

I didn't ask the seller to clean the item, the seller told me she was going to give it a good clean because of the virus. It is the type of item that would need to be cleaned.. Anyway, the seller dropped the ball on the cleaning, but never mind, I'm delighted with the item. 

I can't leave the seller a green donut because the sell lied and sent a very dirty item.. I can't leave a neg or a neutral either, because today I'm over the moon.

I won't leave any feedback.

Thanks all..

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Worthy of neg feedback?

With COVID-19, may be the seller got overwhelmed with orders and just accidentally forgot. I would give this seller a break due to the circumstances. 

I personally would give the seller the benefit of the doubt and a good feedback rating. If your torn, just don't leave any feedback. 

You could put a positive twist on it....look at it as you are bored at home and the seller not only gave you an item you love and as a bonus something to do! Now, that you cleaned it yourself, you now have pride in what you have made it look  like now!

At least you love the item! 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply