cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is mail theft invalid? I'd say it's increasingly relevant these days...

I bought an item from a Seller.  I am also a Seller who understands what it's like out there.

Having just been a victim of a dishonest Buyer who claimed my item to be fake, when it was not. The sneaky tactics people are now employing and eBays reluctance to choose truth over nonsense in favor of the clearly guilty side, makes it a real minefield to buy or sell.   I lost that case btw and the Buyer still has my item.  No one cares.

Back to the Seller, he did everything right.  He shipped it fast, offered good communication, it said 'delivered - no signature required' on the eBay notification.  It was allegedly delivered though FedEx.  

The problem is that I could not of predicted what was to follow and have never experienced this before.

That morning I was in the apartment (we only moved in a few weeks ago and I've seen some dubious looking people often hanging around out there) - at 9:03am FedEx supposedly dropped off the package (without even knocking) and at 10:00am I got the text that it had been delivered.  I opened my door and to my total dismay, it wasn't there.  I ran out and scoured the whole complex, I was fuming but couldn't see anyone about.  No offices or anyone to tell about the situation.

I immediately called the Police, I have a crime reference number, and then filed a claim with FedEx.

None of these actions resulted in anything happening.

They replied a week later telling me that they couldn't honor the refund without written consent from the Sender (in their eyes, the 'customer') - I mesaged him providing all the info including the police report.  I basically just kindly asked (and midly grovelled) that in order to help me he would need to contact them directly and the waiver would release the return back to me.  Everyone a part from the FedEx driver (who I blame entirely for this bungled 'fake delivery') The sender says he feels this is a 'fake claim'. - From this I can take that he doesn't trust me, in spite of the countless messages and valid points arguing my case.  He is adamant that he does not want to call them, because it will effect his 'scores' with Fedex.  

He insisted this is a 'fake claim' - I mean why should he care? eBay/Paypal honored in his favor.  He gets his money, FedEx get theres, and some thief gets my item.  

Whilst I can appreciate the account, this is an occasion where he has the power to be human and show some compassion first, rather than help someone over one minor note on an account with a company who really do not care that the claim was filed in first place, its just a convenient policy that the sender is responsible in doing the claim which presumably gets them off the hook for thousands of claims every year.

Can you tell me that they are not going to cut him any slack and never again honor any future claims, just because an item was poorly delivered and bungled by the driver, of the very company who is at fault.  He literally told me to 'know for next time'.  So I now expected to see into the future.  Be prepared, with a baseball bat perhaps?  

I cannot make modifications to my apartment, any external cameras would presumably be smashed or kicked down.  I now live my life in fear, waiting by the front door like an insane person, because my mail will be stolen if I don't grab it the minute it arrives.  We know how impossible it is, to know the delivery time info before hand.  Why can someone honestly be like that?  I have tried so hard to come across as the honest, good natured person that I really am, yet I seem no better than the "thief".

So, chalk it up to bad luck, on both sides as a Seller and a Buyer? Correct?  Where is the justice.

It seems no matter which side of the fence I'm on, its deemed the wrong one.  

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Have your mail and packages sent to or held at an alternate address like the Post Office or carrier facility.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Get a po box for mail.Request and pay for direct signature on fedex/ups shipments or get service at a mailbox business

Providing a safe place for delivery is your responsibilty

If you can not prove an item is authentic w receipt from reputable store or letter/certificate from accepted expert you will lose everytime

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

When would you like the sellers responsability to end after the package is delivered , 1 minute 10 minutes 30 minutes 1hour 5hours 24 hours if the package is stolen after delivery , if you are now living your life in fear because of this the answer is simple MOVE !

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I'm mainly a buyer and i agree too that once the item is delivered to the correct address, then it's the buyer's problem.  If YOU don't get this straightened out with a safe place for your items, then this won't be the only pkg you get stolen!!  As others say, get a PO Box in a safe neighborhood.  Ask your neighbors if they've seen the pkg.

**************************************************************************************
I'm only on the internet once or so per week, so if you have a response or question for me and I don't get to it within 2 hours, be prepared to wait another week or more. Sorry but fuzzy furballs take catnaps too!! -)
MY REVIEW/GUIDELINES FOR BUYING ON EBAY FOR BUYERS -UPDATED JULY 31 2017
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Sometimes i'll have my pkgs delivered to my best friend's house.  I let her know aheaf of time.  She's in a safe neighborhood with people always in her house.  I use her name on the pkg alongside mine so that no one in the house  gets alarmed  like "Fuzzy Furball care of My Friend's Full Name"  

**************************************************************************************
I'm only on the internet once or so per week, so if you have a response or question for me and I don't get to it within 2 hours, be prepared to wait another week or more. Sorry but fuzzy furballs take catnaps too!! -)
MY REVIEW/GUIDELINES FOR BUYING ON EBAY FOR BUYERS -UPDATED JULY 31 2017
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

"I now live my life in fear, waiting by the front door like an insane person"

or you could get a private mailbox at the Pak Mail. Might want to think about it. Sorry this happened.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

How do you know the package was delivered to YOUR door?  FedEx drivers make mistakes all the time -- even delivering to a completely different apartment building with a similar address.

True story:  I live in a secure building with a mailbox area a half flight down from the main entry.  UPS/FedEx and USPS drivers are not permitted to walk through the building, nor do they have time.  One afternoon, I happened to be passing through the area from the laundry room and encountered a FedEx driver stacking 4 or 5 boxes on the floor.  Normally, I don't get packages at home, but I asked if any were for me.  No, he said, all these are for Apt. 602.

Umm . . . this building has only 4 floors and there's no Apt. 602.  The driver was on the wrong street and in the wrong block!  About a 6-block difference!

Personally, I've used a downtown PMB for deliveries and some mail for over 30 years.  I highly recommend doing so, for convenience, security and peace of mind.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Very Disappointing and Very Sad 

EBay needs to have a policy that Will require seller & buyer to cooperate

related to insurance claims.

What happened to you, a crime of opportunity, could happen to anyone, regardless of the area of residence. 

The details that you present DISCOURAGE BUYING on EBAY , a policy that requires both parties to cooperate on insurance claims would appear to be appropriate. 

Question presented:

Since the carrier regards the seller as their customer, you have provided documentation of loss to the seller what prevents the seller from submitting the documentation on the claim, & receiving payment from Fedex?

Doesn 't the insurance payment go to the seller unless the seller signs a release for you to receive payment instead ?

The seller as Fedex customer & the Buyer is regarded as the seller's customer .

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

How would you know if the seller ever

decides to change their mind, respond to the claim requirements ,

& receives payment from Fedex?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Carrier insurance would not cover a stolen package, it never does.  Doesn't matter who the carrier is. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

Carrier insurance would not cover a stolen package, it never does.  Doesn't matter who the carrier is. 

Retroconsolemode posted he received from Fedex

" They replied a week latter telling me that they couldn't honor the refund without written consent from the seller"

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Insurance wouldnt have paid out in this case because the package showed delivered.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

@myboardid wrote:

Retroconsolemode posted he received from Fedex

" They replied a week latter telling me that they couldn't honor the refund without written consent from the seller"

OP was mistaken or some one at Fedex was mistaken

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

He does appear to believe that the carrier, upon the delivery issue presented in the instant case, is obligated to render payment to cover

the theft.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply