cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Ebay using QR Codes to save 5 dollars when not all phones support QR Codes?

Since Apple only cares about money my Iphone 6 does not support QR codes. It gives me an error saying your phone can't update to this app's version. I find that cute. Just because I don't find the need to update my Iphone often because I actually use my phone as a phone Apple and I guess ebay think people who own older phones should be punished and not be accessible to deals.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Why is Ebay using QR Codes to save 5 dollars when not all phones support QR Codes?

Your post makes no sense at all......

how do we save $5 with a QR code (which is a worldwide standard)

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

There is a promotion currently on encouraging buyers to add the ebay app to their phones and get a $5 credit, by scanning a QR code on the site.  I agree with the OP, not all phones have the built-in QR scanner.  Until my latest phone, I would have had to download one, and even then, not all of them would have worked with that version of my phone.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

The QR code enables you to get our eBay shipping label printed out at the local Post Office, but you can pay the same rate if you print the label at home.  The QR code is just a supplemental way  to print your eBay shipping label, available to those who have updated devices. If you choose not to have the up-to-date device, then you also can't access the incentive for using an up-to-date device!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

The QR code enables you to get our eBay shipping label printed out at the local Post Office, but you can pay the same rate if you print the label at home.  The QR code is just a supplemental way  to print your eBay shipping label, available to those who have updated devices. If you choose not to have the up-to-date device, then you also can't access the incentive for using an up-to-date device!

What the OP is referring to has nothing to do with shipping labels. It's a promotion offering a $5 credit for downloading the app through a QR code.

As a card-carrying Aging Luddite I used to get upset at the world's insistence that I adopt the latest and greatest technology. Now I just accept that I have to maintain a certain level of tech to operate in today's world. Heck, I even text now. What I find most amusing about this offer is that it keeps popping up on my Fire tablet, which offers no functioning version of the app. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@klitschk-70 wrote:

I actually use my phone as a phone 

Why not get a flip phone if all you want is to make calls?

Seems silly to hang on to an unsupported iphone, pay for data and then never use aps especially when you can trade it in and get a nearly free iphone 15

I had to have a come to jesus moment with my parents that thier 3G phones were going to stop working, your 4G iphone 6 is going to die quietly in about 5 years but I suspect the thing won't make it that long with 20 year old outdated firmware

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Your phone's days are numbered.

More and more phones are no longer supported by the carriers due to technology upgrades on the carrier's network. You might as well consider what the best deal to replace your phone is sooner rather than later.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@kathiec wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

The QR code enables you to get our eBay shipping label printed out at the local Post Office,...

What the OP is referring to has nothing to do with shipping labels. It's a promotion offering a $5 credit for downloading the app through a QR code...

Thanks for the clarification.  I think I got confused by the "save" $5 part of the comment.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I get it's frustrating, but society evolves. A couple of years back you needed a Covid vaccine passport to access certain venues here in Canada (no political opinions on that one please) and I had it downloaded on my phone. My mom asked, "What if people don't have a smartphone," so I told her a paper version can be printed. She then asked, "what if you don't have a printer," to which I pointed out there's only so much hand holding we can do for people who resist an evolving society. Evolve with it, or eventually get left behind. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@doc-holmes wrote:

there's only so much hand holding we can do for people who resist an evolving society. Evolve with it, or eventually get left behind. 

When I explained to my mom that her flip phone was going to stop working and to just get a mobile device...she paid for data on that flip phone btw...she told me she would never use anything on it and then sat down in her chair and fired up an ipad a kindle and the smart TV.

They lived with this tecnology as long as I have, they know how to use it and what it does because I do and I have never read a computer manual or my S23 handbook...heck I don't even know if it came with one...she just doesn't want to believe that she wants to know.

Watching them struggle with a Blu-Ray player is infinitely frustrating because they owned record players before I was even born. They absolutely know how to operate it. The symbols on it have been the same for over 50 years.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I think it depends how much you are willing to miss because you don't have/want a device that supports certain tech.  That and an unwillingness to accept the data mining that often comes with the new shiny.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

An I phone 6?  You were supposed to have purchased oodles of new Apple phones by now.    I would not put any payment apps on a phone anyway. So I too could not use my 5.00 off offer.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply