cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When buying, how to deal with rude sellers ?

So I recently ran into something I have never seen , a rude seller.

i had just bought a item around 12am and three hours later sent a proper cancellation form to him and explained the reason why, almost 15 hours later he sends me the most generic message ever saying “ hi item already shipped sorry...” remember this is 15 hours later after I sent in the cancellation. After a few back and forth messages and a message mocking me and blaming me that he already shipped and paid for the shipping and telling me it’s not his job to sit in front of his computer all day, and that he would try his best to stop it from shipping ( which Im sure he never actually shipped)

i have never had this happen before, and imo if you are going to sell on eBay you need to run it like a store. No I don’t expect you to be glued to your computer but you need to monitor your account ever couple of hours, not every 15+ hours. 

I would understand buying  an item and canceling it after it’s marked ship 10 hours later.

Debated hard about this and ended up giving  him a neutral feedback , but feels as I should have  done a negative. How do you guys deal with rude sellers ? 

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@dannyboytexas wrote:

i had just bought a item around 12am and three hours later sent a proper cancellation form to him and explained the reason why, almost 15 hours later he sends me the most generic message ever saying “ hi item already shipped sorry...” remember this is 15 hours later after I sent in the cancellation. After a few back and forth messages and a message mocking me and blaming me that he already shipped and paid for the shipping and telling me it’s not his job to sit in front of his computer all day, and that he would try his best to stop it from shipping ( which Im sure he never actually shipped)

i have never had this happen before, and imo if you are going to sell on eBay you need to run it like a store. No I don’t expect you to be glued to your computer but you need to monitor your account ever couple of hours, not every 15+ hours. 

I would understand buying  an item and canceling it after it’s marked ship 10 hours later.

Debated hard about this and ended up giving  him a neutral feedback , but feels as I should have  done a negative. How do you guys deal with rude sellers ? 

Was it right for the seller to be rude, no, but I didn`t see the communications between you and the seller so that really hasn`t been established. It seems you are suprised that a seller might display some emotion to having to do extra work for no benefit. Wait....the seller does benefit by not recieving negative feedback by acting like an emotionless robot with "yes, sir, right away sir, anything you want sir" answers, correct? Didn`t you state though that you don`t care for generic answers? Or maybe, possibly, you just don`t care for the answer "no"? Just don`t buy from them again and move forward.

I never asked for”yes sir or right away sir”  this is a place for business and as a seller you should remain professional at all times letting your emotions get the best of you is idiotic, I’ve gotten plenty no’s before and they don’t bother me, but the way one needs to conduct themselves in a business manner does bother me. So please try again. And yes I do plan to not buy from then again, reason for this was a genuine curiosity of how people deal with a rude seller, since I’ve never ran into one before.

Message 16 of 67
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@dannyboytexas wrote:

@anla-870 wrote:
You are flat-out rude when you asked the seller to cancel 3 hours after you purchased.

Cancellation requests need to be made within one hour of purchase. you wasted the sellers time effort and energy as well as the money that it cost for the listing, so you have no reason to complain about the seller being rude.

Item was bought at 12am and request sent at 3am, I doubt there is any local mail service that picks up mail at that time. Unless you’re a big business like amazon or Walmart .

so they had plenty of time to answer and not ship the item. They had 15+ hours to look and respond in time and can  guarantee  If they did all this wouldn’t have happened and they would have gotten a positive feedback, but I was I was instead met with unprofessional attitude. So yes I do have reason to complain.

Again this is a large seller who likely has multiple depts or drop ships so it is a seller with a big business that can make it hard to stop the shipping/order process

Don’t you think if this was a large seller who has multiple dept or drop ships that they would have a firm grasp on the fundamentals of eBay , in which all the communications are sent via closed in system mail. I know if I did I would have someone to run through the message constantly so if any changes needed to be made can be made in a prompt manner.  And which the request sent was within a reasonable time frame, they had time to stop it.  I would have understood if I have bought it at 12am  sent the message at 4-6 pm that evening that there was nothing they can do. That request would be most definitely unreasonable. 

Message 17 of 67
latest reply

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Message 18 of 67
latest reply

@dannyboytexas wrote:

@anla-870 wrote:
You are flat-out rude when you asked the seller to cancel 3 hours after you purchased.

Cancellation requests need to be made within one hour of purchase. you wasted the sellers time effort and energy as well as the money that it cost for the listing, so you have no reason to complain about the seller being rude.

Item was bought at 12am and request sent at 3am, I doubt there is any local mail service that picks up mail at that time. Unless you’re a big business like amazon or Walmart .

so they had plenty of time to answer and not ship the item. They had 15+ hours to look and respond in time and can  guarantee  If they did all this wouldn’t have happened and they would have gotten a positive feedback, but I was I was instead met with unprofessional attitude. So yes I do have reason to complain.

You were rude then and you're being rude now.

Message 19 of 67
latest reply

@dannyboytexas wrote:

@dannyboytexas wrote:

@anla-870 wrote:

Again this is a large seller who likely has multiple depts or drop ships so it is a seller with a big business that can make it hard to stop the shipping/order process

Don’t you think if this was a large seller who has multiple dept or drop ships that they would have a firm grasp on the fundamentals of eBay , in which all the communications are sent via closed in system mail. I know if I did I would have someone to run through the message constantly so if any changes needed to be made can be made in a prompt manner.  And which the request sent was within a reasonable time frame, they had time to stop it.  I would have understood if I have bought it at 12am  sent the message at 4-6 pm that evening that there was nothing they can do. That request would be most definitely unreasonable. 

I’m sure they do understand the fundamentals of eBay.  It doesn’t change the fact that larger sellers will have a harder time stopping an order process once it’s made.  

And you said you would understand if it was a big seller IT IS a large seller. This isn’t a one person operation where the same person who ships is the same person who reads messages and can just stop say ok done.  Your order could go directly to the shipping dept hours before someone reads you message making it harder to cancel.  They have to contact the shipping dept to even see if something can be stopped.

along with that   I don’t expect instant response from large sellers/ companies because they are multiple people running the operation and multiple orders they deal with and likely multiple emails to deal with.  

If want to talk about the fundamentals of eBay let’s discuss the fundamentals of the commit to buy an item... 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 20 of 67
latest reply

In fewer than 50 transactions you have already left more bad feedback than I have in over 8k feedback on my buying id. Even some of your positives are complaints. 

Message 21 of 67
latest reply

@dannyboytexas wrote:

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@dannyboytexas wrote:

Was it right for the seller to be rude, no, but I didn`t see the communications between you and the seller so that really hasn`t been established. It seems you are suprised that a seller might display some emotion to having to do extra work for no benefit. Wait....the seller does benefit by not recieving negative feedback by acting like an emotionless robot with "yes, sir, right away sir, anything you want sir" answers, correct? Didn`t you state though that you don`t care for generic answers? Or maybe, possibly, you just don`t care for the answer "no"? Just don`t buy from them again and move forward.

I never asked for”yes sir or right away sir”  this is a place for business and as a seller you should remain professional at all times letting your emotions get the best of you is idiotic, I’ve gotten plenty no’s before and they don’t bother me, but the way one needs to conduct themselves in a business manner does bother me. So please try again. And yes I do plan to not buy from then again, reason for this was a genuine curiosity of how people deal with a rude seller, since I’ve never ran into one before.

You have already stated that the seller was rude, implied that they were lying and now they are idiotic as well, but again, I haven`t seen the email exchange so I can only speculate. I can only imagine what that email exchange was like. I`m sure you had nothing to do with the escalation and stayed "professional" at all times. You got the cancellation you were seeking, you left them poor feedback and now you aren`t happy because you feel you should have left a negative instead(your words,not mine)? BTW, I usually simply ignore rude people.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 22 of 67
latest reply

As others have mentioned, sellers are not required to honor your request for cancellation and you weren't actually suppose to make one after one hour of purchase.  Frankly, even though we don't have access to actual transcripts of your conversations with the seller, I'm unsure of precisely who it was that was being rude in this case.

It is the buyer's responsibility to determine if the item is suitable for their needs before making a purchase.  I would suggest that you be more careful before committing to buying something.  That might help you to avoid having to retract any more bids than your record already shows you having done and having to request cancellations and refunds. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 23 of 67
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

In fewer than 50 transactions you have already left more bad feedback than I have in over 8k feedback on my buying id. Even some of your positives are complaints. 

...and a lot of that feedback looks to me like partial fishing

Message 24 of 67
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

As others have mentioned, sellers are not required to honor your request for cancellation and you weren't actually suppose to make one after one hour of purchase.  Frankly, even though we don't have access to actual transcripts of your conversations with the seller, I'm unsure of precisely who it was that was being rude in this case.

It is the buyer's responsibility to determine if the item is suitable for their needs before making a purchase.  I would suggest that you be more careful before committing to buying something.  That might help you to avoid having to retract any more bids than your record already shows you having done and having to request cancellations and refunds. 

See I understand that and agree with your statement.  I missed read the title and bought something I didn’t need.  I do understand it is my fault on that subject and like I said before , if the seller would have actually responded in time and gave me  professionalism  I would have accepted it like I have done in the past.  This was mainly about showing respect for the place of business. Which didn’t happen 

Message 25 of 67
latest reply

@dannyboytexas wrote:

@dannyboytexas wrote:

@anla-870 wrote:

I’m sure they do understand the fundamentals of eBay.  It doesn’t change the fact that larger sellers will have a harder time stopping an order process once it’s made.  

And you said you would understand if it was a big seller IT IS a large seller. This isn’t a one person operation where the same person who ships is the same person who reads messages and can just stop say ok done.  Your order could go directly to the shipping dept hours before someone reads you message making it harder to cancel.  They have to contact the shipping dept to even see if something can be stopped.

along with that   I don’t expect instant response from large sellers/ companies because they are multiple people running the operation and multiple orders they deal with and likely multiple emails to deal with.  

If want to talk about the fundamentals of eBay let’s discuss the fundamentals of the commit to buy an item... 

When you run such a big business, you are expecting to handle things in a timely manner. Like I said before, when the business you deal in is a time sensitive business, you must act on the accord. You should have someone monitoring email through your the whole day, and if you can’t toubare doing it wrong because communication is the key to success.  Yes I do believe 15+ hours is a ludicrous timeframe to answer a email. It all depends on the business.

Ok? Let’s discuss, please teach me the fundamentals of the commit to buy an item, i will be waiting. Please do make it educational.... 

Message 26 of 67
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

...and a lot of that feedback looks to me like partial fishing

What does that even mean ? 

Message 27 of 67
latest reply

It means it looks like you were fishing for partial refunds and were unsuccessful.

What you are telling us that nothing is your fault. You have no responsibility for yourself. 

That's not okay.

Radine

Message 28 of 67
latest reply

@dannyboytexas wrote:

@dannyboytexas wrote:

@dannyboytexas wrote:

@anla-870 wrote:

When you run such a big business, you are expecting to handle things in a timely manner. Like I said before, when the business you deal in is a time sensitive business, you must act on the accord. You should have someone monitoring email through your the whole day, and if you can’t toubare doing it wrong because communication is the key to success.  Yes I do believe 15+ hours is a ludicrous timeframe to answer a email. It all depends on the business.

Ok? Let’s discuss, please teach me the fundamentals of the commit to buy an item, i will be waiting. Please do make it educational.... 

with an official cancel request made within an hour ebay gives three days for the seller to respond to the request so I think 15 hours is incredibly reasonable. 

I'm pretty sure you understand the concept of a commit to buy but still requested to cancel after that commitment and are upset that it hasn't gone the way you wanted when its you who first broke the fundamentals of an ebay commit to buy but then want to preach about seller fundamentals.

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 29 of 67
latest reply

As a seller I know what Im doing now!

A buyer should NEVER expect a seller to cancel. When someone "buys" they are giving their word that they will pay. Just like the seller is giving their word they will send what was purchased.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 30 of 67
latest reply