cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When, Or If, To Enter Negative Feedback?

Hi All,

I purchased an item described as "in mint condition."  You guessed it: It's not even close to being in mint condition.  So I wish to return it.  I sent the seller a courtesy heads up, and he replied "I don't offer returns."  So I guess this is going to be an adversarial relationship from here on.  (First time in my nearly nineteen years on eBay.  I suppose it was bound to happen, some day :(.)

I've initiated a formal return request based on the description being inaccurate.  My question is this: Being as the  seller has chosen to be uncooperative, I would be inclined to register negative feedback.  (Also a first, for me.)  Would that be approrpriate at this time, or should I wait to see how the seller responds to the formal return request?

I want to do the right thing.  Just not certain what is the right thing to do.  I know a lot of sellers get a raw deal.  I don't want to be one of Those Buyers.

Heck, I was even going to volunteer to "share the pain," by offering to pay the return shipping.  Now I'm not so inclined, given his initial response.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Mint means absolutely perfect. Not nearly perfect. It's like it just came from the mint. No dirt, no wear.

Sellers should avoid using those kinds of terms. They're often wrong.

Message 16 of 39
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Mint means absolutely perfect. Not nearly perfect. It's like it just came from the mint. No dirt, no wear.

Sellers should avoid using those kinds of terms. They're often wrong.

I don't believe in using those kinds of tersm even if the item is mint most of the time because some people take it as a challenge to prove you wrong.

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

pf9000, I understand the subjective nature of descriptive terms, but "mint" is a pretty definitive word. Even then I'm willing to grant the seller some latitude. The key word there being "some" 🙂

I've had other purchases go wrong, and the sellers have always been good about it. Heck, one time a seller, when informed what he'd sent me was DOA, replied "I'll refund you. No need to send it back." "Are you sure?" I asked. "I've no use for a dead tape drive," he replied, "No sense in paying to send it back."

To me a place like eBay only works if everybody deals on a basis of honesty and forthrightness. That may sound Pollyannaish, and perhaps it is, but I sleep well at night 🙂
Message 18 of 39
latest reply

@j.seymour,

When the seller replied that they do not accept returns, you should have opened a Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) dispute through the Money Back Guarantee.  Then the seller has only 3 days to respond then you can ask ebay to step in.  The Return system works differently, and allows more time for contact between buyer & seller.  The seller's return time frame can come into play using the returns process, but a SNAD dispute gives you 30 days from the date of receipt.  In either case, to reinforce your case, upload photos of what you received.  It can help eBay make up its mind. 

https://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/return-item.html

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 19 of 39
latest reply

I uploaded photos last night @mudshark61369. Thanks for the tips! (Wish I'd known about SNAD before initiating the return process.)
Message 20 of 39
latest reply

@j.seymour wrote:
I uploaded photos last night @mudshark61369. Thanks for the tips! (Wish I'd known about SNAD before  initiating the return process.)

"I've initiated a formal return request based on the description being inaccurate."

It sounds like you did open a Not As Described return (SNAD) when you selected that reason on the return request.  Claims/cases/disputes all start off as "returns" now.  They become 'cases' when a party "asks eBay to step in."

Seller has 3 business days to reply with an actual solution.   5 days just incorporates the weekend (non-business day).  If the seller fails to respond timely, you will be able to "ask eBay to step in" the very next day (12:01 am PT).  Seller will earn an Unresolved by Seller mark on their account.  Those are the worst kind.  It only takes a few to limit and/or restrict a seller from selling anymore.

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

Oh, the seller has responded. Repeatedly. He simply keeps arguing reasons why he shouldn't/won't accept a return. I did, at some point, I *think*, ping eBay, as the seller seems adamant, but it doesn't show in the return process status and I have not heard from them.
Everything I'm reading on the return status page appears to indicate they won't step in until four days hence.
Meanwhile I feel stuck. There are things I have on my watch list, some of which are alternatives to what I purchased, but now I'm kind of gun-shy 😞 Not so much that eBay won't ensure it's made right, but that I cannot trust descriptions or sellers' words, even when they have 100% positive feedback ratings.
Strange how 19 years and 60 good transactions can be so-badly affected by one not going well, isn't it?
Thanks, everybody, for your feedback and the information!
Message 22 of 39
latest reply

Oops! Correction: Just checked the return status and now it says "The seller approved your request." Does that mean a return label will be forthcoming?

And, getting back to the original question: So I had to argue my case with him. If he's finally doing the right thing, I'm thinking it would be appropriate to just let the feedback slide. Either supply neutral feedback or none at all, once the process is complete?
Message 23 of 39
latest reply

If you get an item that is not as described, it doesn't matter if the seller takes no returns.  THE MBG overrides their no returns policy~get the item you ordered or your money back.

While I applaud your sense of fairness, this is not your fault and it isn't on you.  The seller pays for the return shipping.  He will send you a label, or Ebay will.  You have five days to ship the item.  When tracking shows delivery to the seller, you will be refunded.

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

Don't worry about feedback.  Feedback is not given until a transaction is over and completed, and this one is not.

There is no rush to post feedback.

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

The seller sold you an item that he described as mint condition.  Then you sent the seller a message to let him know that it wasn't as described and his response was that he doesn't take returns.  Big mistake because all sellers take returns for items not as described and have to send the return shipping label.  You had to pursue the formal claims process because the seller was unwilling to take care of this amicably.   At this point the seller no longer has any choice in the matter and will have to send you the return label and refund.  You do have up to 60 days to leave feedback and it's your decision whether you want to leave negative feedback.  I wouldn't do it just yet as this seller can drag out the return and refund process and is more likely to do that if you post negative feedback now.  Your goal at the moment is to get your money back.  Just make sure that your feedback comment is factual and professional so that it can stick. 

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

*sigh* It appears the seller may already be dragging it out. He approved the return request yesterday, but still no return label.

Then again: Given he was apparently unaware of How Things Work wrt SNAD returns, I suppose it *might* be because he's unaware he's obliged to? Would it be reasonable to drop him a note? E.g.: "You're aware you're obliged to send me a shipping label, right?" Or "Awaiting shipping label." Or should I just let it ride?

He's not treated me well, but I still don't want to burn him with an eBay action if it's just cluelessness.

Thanks, again, everybody, for the guidance.
Message 27 of 39
latest reply

Is this an international purchase?

If so, the seller actually cannot provide a label but is supposed to send you shipping monies for you to purchase one.  It should come as a sepearte payment and not a partial refund from the original transaction.

If it's domestic, there *should* be a link in the case that allows you to print a label.  

What does it say in the case?

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

I have had some sellers who didn't seem to understand that when a buyer opens a claim for SNAD that they are required to provide a return label.  I do send the seller a polite note letting them know that I am ready to return their item and can they please provide me with the return label required by eBay's Money Back Guarantee policy.  If they don't do this within the time frame required by eBay you will have to escalate the claim and ask eBay to step in.   Then eBay will give the seller a few more days to comply.  If they don't then you have to notify eBay again, and eBay will send you the label and charge it to the seller. If the seller doesn't send the label they will get a defect.  The buyer must return the item within 5 days with tracking in morder ffor thwem to receive their refund.  Do not miss any deadlines during this process or you will lose.

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

It's a domestic purchase, lintbrush*

The last update to the case says "The seller approved your request".
Message 30 of 39
latest reply