cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is wrong with some sellers?

I have been a eBay buyer and seller (mostly buyer) since 2001, and have 884 feedback, with not only zero negatives in the past 12 \months, but zero negatives ever. Look at the comments left for me and you will see my reputation.

I mention this so you’ll  know I’m not some inexperienced newbie.

I was interested in an item here on eBay. The seller's return policy, however, was very confusing. On One hand, he made it clear he would not accept returns or give refunds for any used or opened items. But then, he went on to state that, if an item proved defective, he would absorb the return shipping cost.

That in my opinion is convoluted. The only way he *could* agree to absorb the return shipping cost was to agree with me that the item was defective, and the only way for that to happen was if I had to have, you know, opened it in order to use it.

But as I said, his return policy stated at the beginning that any opened items would not be accepted for returns and refunds.

I asked him to clear up this obvious confusion, before I took the plunge and bought the item from him, and his response was to ask if I'd purchased the item, and, if not, why was I complaining?

I explained I wasn't complaining; just exercising my right to have a confusing return policy clarified before I laid my hard earned money down, to avoid any potential problems after the sale.

I haven't heard anything and would be surprised if I did, but my question is, has anyone else run across sellers as sore headed as this, and what have you done?

I suppose eBay can't really do anything about a seller who conducts business this way, but it seems to me there should be some sort of guild lines, to weed out sellers who clearly have zero customer skills.

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

@danscott7
eBays Money Back grantees overrides anything in a seller’s listings. If it’s defective

the seller has to pay return shipping. If it’s a remorse return buyer pays.

FYI, this board is about Community Feeback of the boards, so this thread may get moved. move

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 2 of 33
latest reply

@danscott7 wrote:

I have been a eBay buyer and seller (mostly buyer) since 2001, and have 884 feedback, with not only zero negatives in the past 12 \months, but zero negatives ever. Look at the comments left for me and you will see my reputation.

I mention this so you’ll  know I’m not some inexperienced newbie.

I was interested in an item here on eBay. The seller's return policy, however, was very confusing. On One hand, he made it clear he would not accept returns or give refunds for any used or opened items. But then, he went on to state that, if an item proved defective, he would absorb the return shipping cost.

That in my opinion is convoluted. The only way he *could* agree to absorb the return shipping cost was to agree with me that the item was defective, and the only way for that to happen was if I had to have, you know, opened it in order to use it.

But as I said, his return policy stated at the beginning that any opened items would not be accepted for returns and refunds.

I asked him to clear up this obvious confusion, before I took the plunge and bought the item from him, and his response was to ask if I'd purchased the item, and, if not, why was I complaining?

I explained I wasn't complaining; just exercising my right to have a confusing return policy clarified before I laid my hard earned money down, to avoid any potential problems after the sale.

I haven't heard anything and would be surprised if I did, but my question is, has anyone else run across sellers as sore headed as this, and what have you done?

I suppose eBay can't really do anything about a seller who conducts business this way, but it seems to me there should be some sort of guild lines, to weed out sellers who clearly have zero customer skills.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts:

All buyers have 100% positive feedback with no negatives. Buyers cannot receive negative feedback.

A seller is allowed to have a "no returns" policy as it relates to "buyer's remorse" returns. All sellers must accept returns for defective items. His remarks about "opened" and "used" items may or may not be supported by eBay's Money Back Guarantee, depending on the specific item and circumstances. 

Just skip over sellers like this. His own "customer skills" may "weed [him] out" without eBay's help.

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

I choose the option to not deal with this seller or any like him.

I posted here because after a lengthy search I could not locate the proper forum for my question. 

These forums aren't particularly user friendly. 

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

That is true!
They have moved this thread to the bidding and buying board now.
It’s also a good idea to skip over those sellers. Was just letting you know.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 5 of 33
latest reply

Your seller is obviously a very sensitive person who chose to regard your question as a criticism of the wording of the return policy.

Sometimes it's best to just move on and not ask a question, when a listing has contradictory or confusing information, & then some sellers wonder as to the reason their items are not selling.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

The seller does not accept returns once an item has been opened.  They will however take a return, and pay for shipping if the item is defective (ebay policy).  I'm really not sure what is confusing about this.   Possibly some details are missing?

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

Experienced seller can tell if you're the problematic buyer or not because the way you're asking question. He/She just decided to not take a chance with you for some reason. Is your question was long like this post? If yes, I completely understand him.  Plus, it's very sad that a seller yourself you don't understand eBay return policies. I had a buyer like this who was talking about his feedback and reputation, his messages were so long that I've desided "life is too short to deal with him".  I am here not to affend you, but the new generation wanted short questions with "yes" or "no" answers. Move on. 

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

The seller may not be able to defend that "once an item has been opened" policy. For one thing, what does that even mean? Open the package when it arrives? Open the manufacturer's packaging? Open the can or bottle?

If the item has to be opened in order for the buyer to determine that there is a problem with the item, the seller will lose, no matter what his/her made-up "policy" is.
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

A seller is allowed to have a "no returns" policy as it relates to "buyer's remorse" returns. All sellers must accept returns for defective items.

Just skip over sellers like this. His own "customer skills" may "weed [him] out" without eBay's help.

I think the seller was trying to explain what he thought "buyers remorse" means. The buyer opens the package, it doesn't fit when he tries to plug it into a phone or computer (buyer neglected to check the specifics, or what kind of cord/adapter they needed.), that type of thing, and it is possible that the seller has had experience with that and lost, due to the buyer's neglect. So, he is trying to dissuade the "try it on" buyer and the newbie who buys three of something and sends two back.

I cringe when I read something like that, but I would then expect that the seller to be selling items as described. I haven't had a problem buying from someone with a somewhat mild, "I dont' take returns".

It depends on how they word the TOS, the actual description and item for sale. (Sometimes the TOS tells you more about the seller's personality than their business practices.) If the listing has poor pictures and a useless or vague description as to condition, I would skip the auction. If they say NIB or Factory Sealed. I expect it to work after I open it. If it arrives broken but still sealed, I wouldn't hesitate to return it. Don't think that has ever happened to me, though.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

I think loveyourimagination49 was trying to give you a heads up in case you came back looking for your question and couldn't find it.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

@danscott7 wrote:

*snip*

Any thoughts?

Your reputation isn't the positive feedback you get, it's the non positive you leave.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

It is best if you find such a seller whom you feel is not following policy according to ebay or you simply do not feel comfortable with, to move along and buy from someone else.

Cheers.

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

@anpres64 wrote:

@danscott7 wrote:

*snip*

Any thoughts?

Your reputation isn't the positive feedback you get, it's the non positive you leave.

Yes.

Yes it is.

OP, thanks for posting.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 33
latest reply

And, in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
Message 15 of 33
latest reply