cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What feedback policy or guideline was violated?

I purchased a OEM battery for a phone from an eBay seller and tested it for mAh capacity to see if met the description 2900mAh. The test included charging it to 100% capacity on the phone, then a measured discharge was accomplished with an Imax B6 Ultimate Charger/Discharger.  The total mAh capacity was 941mAh.  I reported to seller

the battery was "defective" and requested a replacement. That replacement measured 953 mAh.  I told the seller it also was defective and requested a refund. Seller complied.

I posted the following feedback as a neutral:

"Battery sent tested 941mAh, replacement 953 -- NOT 2900mAh -- REFUNDED"

Ebay deleted that feedback.  After a chat and two received emails from customer help no requested specific violation of guidelines or policy was provided, only general info.

Maybe someone can tell me what is wrong with that feedback.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@jttrain wrote:

Seller is continuing to unconditionally use the 2900mAh reference as battery capacity, which was false for the 2 samples I received, and my feedback only referenced those two batteries.  Even if it was an honest mistake why should Ebay remove an honest feedback which does not violate any of their policy or guidelines.

Ok...

Speaking as a buyer I totally agree that most of these capacity and performance claims are greatly exaggerated and thus false.  It frustrates me as a buyer to see that, because it makes purchasing a good, quality product confusing and quite difficult.
Speaking as a seller however, I have also had buyers made counterclaims based on their very own backyard tinkerings that they tried to spin off as scientific research... And I do believe that your load tester likely gave correct readings, however we can not as sellers ascertain the veracity of your method over that of the manufacturer... Because most likely the seller's claim isn't simply made up but actually comes from that product's manufacturer, even more unfortunate is we have no way of knowing what method that manufacturer used to come up with their claim.

Which doesn't make it right, by any means, to make claims that the product clearly can not and does not meet.  But then again, so long the sellers are willing to issue refunds, the price is well below that of the OEM replacement, and we can report and remove these all day long because for every one we remove there are ten more waiting to be listed.

So I don't know what to say exactly, something to be aware of when shopping around is how I do things.
I know for myself that the claims are likely not to be believed, and taking that into account I can then make an informed decision on whether I want to buy the cheaper product or spend more on the real deal.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

I posed two queries  to "customer-help" on 1/14/2021, first, a more precise reference to all written eBay policies and guidelines, relative to the deleted feedback, and second asking their comment on the answer provided by buyselljack2016.

The following answer was interesting although no comment on second query:

"After a careful review, I can see that the feedback you left is valid. As it turns out, any feedback that was removed due to system or manual removable is permanent. We will conduct an internal investigation on this matter and take the necessary actions to improve our services in the future. For security reasons, any actions taken after this investigation will be privately discussed within eBay."

Message 17 of 17
latest reply