cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. sues eBay over sale of harmful products

"The U.S. government on Wednesday sued eBay, accusing the online platform of violating the Clean Air Act and other environmental laws by allowing the sale of several harmful products. EBay could face billions of dollars in penalties"

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-sues-ebay-over-sale-142616316.html

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I suspect the complaint will likey result in a settlement agreement.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

The EPA is the greatest shakedown artist the world has ever known. The lawsuit is ridiculous on its face as Ebay does not sell anything...I hope Ebay smacks them down. The EPA needs to be put out of commission as it is now and get back to the basics.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

eBay doesn't sell anything.  
I'm surprised that nobody in "The U.S. government" apparently knows this.  
So -- eBay will ask that the specific sellers be joined into the lawsuit.   Or eBay will countersue those sellers.  

IF it's true, and I'm sure there may be instances where "bad" aftermarket equipment was sold on eBay -- 
IF it's true, eBay will try to tighten up their controls on listing of such equipment.
And there will still be sellers who will try to find a way around those controls.  

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Their claim that eBay distributed  blah blah blah is ridiculous. eBay is not a distributor of any product. They sell some eBay merchandise but nothing else I'm aware of.

Just saying if I put a classified ad in the newspaper  how does that make the newspaper responsible?

Just seems ridiculous.  Since they know exactly how many widgets were sold then they know who the sellers are. Seems like they should go after the sellers who sold the offending product.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Some of us have been around long enough to remember when Tiffany sued eBay in 2004. EBay prevailed on all counts, largely using the "service vs. product" argument they'll most likely use here. But it's also pertinent to note that, despite the fact they won the case, for a time at least eBay greatly cracked down on counterfeits. For a number of years it was almost impossible to list Tiffany without the listing be pulled at least once.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@pcobra93 wrote:

The EPA is the greatest shakedown artist the world has ever known. The lawsuit is ridiculous on its face as Ebay does not sell anything...I hope Ebay smacks them down. The EPA needs to be put out of commission as it is now and get back to the basics.

I never chose this as best answer, I think someone at ebay chose it for me. I totally don't agree with that statement. How do I unselect it as best answer?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Call the EPA and they can file suit against Ebay for allowing me to have free speech on their platform....

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@pcobra93 wrote:

Call the EPA and they can file suit against Ebay for allowing me to have free speech on their platform....

I never said you don't have a right to state your opinion, and I will defend your right to free speech even if I don't agree with it.

What I said was I that I did not select it as the "Best answer" and I totally disagree with it. It seems weird to me someone chose it as "Best answer" for me to fit ebays agenda in the case. I certainly don't want anyone to think that is my opinion.

Is there any way to unselect it as " Best answer"?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

The little drop down menu in the upper right corner just above date ant time, click on it and it has a option to unselect the best answer.

If eBay selected the answer then the persons answer that was selected should have been notified that eBay selected their answer and who within eBay selected it.

stephenmorgan_2-1695855074275.png

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@campanaelia wrote:

@pcobra93 wrote:

I never said you don't have a right to state your opinion, and I will defend your right to free speech even if I don't agree with it.

What I said was I that I did not select it as the "Best answer" and I totally disagree with it. It seems weird to me someone chose it as "Best answer" for me to fit ebays agenda in the case. I certainly don't want anyone to think that is my opinion.

Is there any way to unselect it as " Best answer"?

@campanaelia 

Just because you may not agree with what's determined to be a "best answer" doesn't mean that the answer isn't the best nor does it mean you always have the right to unselect what was determined to be a best answer.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 11
latest reply