cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious seller

A seller, had an item that I bid on. I bid in error and retracted my bid. I attempted to re-bid but the seller froze my bid and blocked me from bidding or even setting a max bid amount. I sent the seller several messages asking what I needed to do to continue bidding, only to be ignored. I contacted eBay Customer Support, but they only side with the seller, not the buyer. The seller has a history of creating sales post, then not answering questions, blocking bidders, setting a price and then refusing to sell. eBay will not enforce their own policies. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Suspicious seller

@khetzel wrote:

I regard bidders who bid, retract, and expect to continue bidding as scammers or con men.

A couple times I've missed the decimal point bidding and instead of 28.03, I bid $2803. I had to retract it and then rebid the correct amount. I thought that was one of the valid reasons ebay allows. I'm no serial bidder nor a scammer. I admit I need new glasses though.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Suspicious seller

Many sellers have a hair trigger when it comes to buyers who trigger their suspicions. They block messages as well as purchases and bids.

You are no loner part of their universe.

It is one of the areas in which Ebay gives the seller total discretion as to who they do not want to do business with.

Buyers get to choose which sellers they want to buy from, and sellers get to choose who they do not wish to sell to.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Suspicious seller

@doc-holmes wrote:

How does a seller freeze a bid? 

The seller didn't freeze anything. This is OP misunderstanding how bidding works (again).

What really happened was that the OP had placed a very high bid a couple of days before the auction ended, and exposed the high bidder's max bid. Then OP retracted that bid and placed 8 more bids a few seconds apart, starting at $100 more than the other bidder's max bid, and increasing their bid by several hundred dollars each time. (I said 7 bids earlier, that was my mistake.)

A few hours before the auction ended, OP started this thread to complain. They had tried to retract their previous bid (or bids) and could not retract them because there was less than 12 hours left in the auction. They tried to place another bid (they had been outbid by that time) and found that they were blocked from making any more bids.

OP thought their bids had been "frozen" because they didn't understand that they couldn't retract them because there was less than 12 hours left in the auction.

In the end, it turned out that the seller's account had been hijacked, and the auction was a scam, because it was removed by eBay, along with another listing that had sold a few days before, and the positive feedback from the supposed buyer (which made the listings look legitimate).

So OP had been trying to mess with the bidding on a scam auction. And naming & shaming a hijacked account.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Suspicious seller

Looks like you dodged a bullet.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 19 of 19
latest reply