cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop End of Auction Redirects

Redirecting is infuriating.

Redirecting is useless.

Make it stop.

And even if they did manage to ever redirect to something similar to the item I actually wanted I don't ever want to be redirected. I am going to an ended listing for many reasons. Having "suggested items" listed on the page of the original listing worked just fine, didn't get in the way and occasionally it was something I actually wanted.

If the item has been relisted I have to click multiple times to go back to the original listing & find the relisted item. This will inhibit people selling their items for those who don't know how to get around the redirect. And it inhibits me buying items because of the frustration & waste of time.

Also not all of us have unlimited data on our cell phones... this eats up our monthly data budget.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@zebrastuff wrote:

Redirecting is infuriating.

Redirecting is useless.

Make it stop.

And even if they did manage to ever redirect to something similar to the item I actually wanted I don't ever want to be redirected. I am going to an ended listing for many reasons. Having "suggested items" listed on the page of the original listing worked just fine, didn't get in the way and occasionally it was something I actually wanted.

If the item has been relisted I have to click multiple times to go back to the original listing & find the relisted item. This will inhibit people selling their items for those who don't know how to get around the redirect. And it inhibits me buying items because of the frustration & waste of time.

Also not all of us have unlimited data on our cell phones... this eats up our monthly data budget.

Sadly, this is all about you.

EBay is all about what it believes is best for ebay.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

uh huh, and what is best for ebay is usually not good for it's customers, especially something as annoying as this.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

It's not best for eBay to confuse or annoy their customers by redirecting them to something other than the listing they wanted to see.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@zebrastuff,

No one so far likes the redirect to "similar" items.  However, when you see "The listing you are looking for has ended". the word listing is a link directly to that item. Unfortunately, ebay uses a smalller font for that message, and on some screens the blue used by ebay looks black, so the link is easily passed over.  It should be underlined or a brighter color so people do see that it is a link.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I think this is very annoying and can be confusing to.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I agree, hate this practice also, it redirect to different seller too, ebay really show no loyalty to it's sellers or they would not do it. This like a virus, click on one thing and you get sent to another site.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@mechanicmd,

"ebay really show no loyalty to it's sellers or they would not do it "

Like any company ebay does what is best for ebay. However, you would think they would make changes that benefit "their" customers, the sellers, as well.  They lost sight of the fact that we pay them the second John Donahoe took over in 2008. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Thank you zebrastuff for posting this problem, when this first started about two months ago, I called ebay and they claimed they did not know about it and was sending the issue up to next level. They agree it acted like a virus. The problem is the tech people who make these changes don't use ebay services and don't know how to improve it.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@zebrastuff,

No one so far likes the redirect to "similar" items.  However, when you see "The listing you are looking for has ended". the word listing is a link directly to that item. Unfortunately, ebay uses a smalller font for that message, and on some screens the blue used by ebay looks black, so the link is easily passed over.  It should be underlined or a brighter color so people do see that it is a link.

instead of the redirect where you have to click something to go back to where you actually wanted to go in the first place...they should just have this one ended here is a similiar item.   but brillant ebay thinks they know what they are doing in just sending them directly to another page

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@zebrastuff,

I have seen a couple of listings where even that link is not there any more. So I was at a dead end. I have seen yet other listings where the "see original listing" link takes you to the original listing. There seems to be no consistency.

If the link says; "See original listing" then that's what you should see. It's disingenuous and confusing at best, to link to something else. That's the problem.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I completely agree. If I were a seller, I'd be furious that ebay directs people who want my merchandise to someone else. As a buyer, if I'm following size 14 pants, it's not "helpful" to show me instead size 0-2 pants. I have decided to take my money elsewhere, say to Amazon or Etsy or my local small businesses, which have done much better in customer service than ebay. Heck, I might even put more into my retirement account!
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Interesting explanation, do you have evidence of that? Ebay took something that was working for their customers and changed it; there is no reason they couldn't just revert to their previous format. There is too much at stake for ebay to be leaving this to chance. I'm sure ebay could find plenty of tech people who use ebay if they had the desire to do so. Ebay, like B of A and Wells Fargo, is willing to bet that both buyers and sellers would accept poor customer service. I for one am taking my money to someone who provides a decent customer experience, and away from the big guy.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply