cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some sellers list an American address but by checking their feedback page they are in China. eBay?

Some sellers that list American addresses are actually in China and when you purchase from them the item doesn't arrive and then the excuses start. eBay is allowing this to happen. Why? Is the money they make from Chinese sellers so important they allow them to scam us? I Don't want to buy a **bleep** thing from China and I should not have to dig so deep to find the deception. eBay verify these US addresses and make sure they are being shipped from there.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Some sellers list an American address but by checking their feedback page they are in China. eBay?

If the listing shows a U.S. item location, but the seller actually ships from another country, you can open a Return case before it even arrives to you, for "Item location misrepresentation" under "not as described".

If you have tracking showing it's coming from another country, eBay will refund you in full without requiring a return.

But be careful, as quite a few Chinese sellers have stock warehoused in the US.

Youu do not need to dig deep - It is easy to check were the seller is registered - click on the FB number next to thier name.

It is impossible for eBay to verify shipping addresses for all 19m sellers.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@xox0xox,

Being a member as long as you have, you should know that feedback profiles should be looked at for several reasons, not just to find out where a seller is from.  Unfortunately, these days  too many things we buy in stores are made in China or have parts that are made there.  You should know that in 2012 ebay opened the flood gates to chinese sellers and helped many of them register in this country, and was helping them to find warehouse space, which most of them didn't use after a few years. 

Because it can be hard to tell where a seller is located or ships from I created a list of things I look for to avoid buying from China based sellers.

There are ways to figure out if a seller is actually China based or drop ships from there. Below is a list of things I check.

On Listing pages:

• Items priced well below brand name items price.
  • Items listed by many other sellers using the same photos and prices often.
  • An item location address that does not give a city and state Ex: USA / United States, New Jersey / USA ...
  • The use of U.S. flag symbols and several mentions of being a U.S. seller.
  • Item descriptions that have wording in them that doesn't seem like it was written by a person whose first language is English.
  • A  High volume Top Rated seller with a feedback percentage below 98.6%
  • Item titles giving a brand name, and photos showing a brand name label, but in the Item Specifics it says Brand: Unknown.
  • Items that don't have a recognizable Brand Name.
  • The use of metric and standard measurements.
  • Photos with Asian models in them.

On a Feedback profile page:

• The seller's country of registry, sometimes.
  • Very high volume sellers who joined after 2010.
  • All or most feedback is for Private listings.
  • Those that do not list all items as private, have FB for items in many unrelated categories.
  • Feedback numbers that don't add up. Shooting star feedback numbers  but a low number in the last year or 12 months. 
  • Neutral and Negative feedback saying items came from China. That took a long time to arrive. Missing items from multiple quantity orders. Poor Quality,  Cancelled purchases.  Poor communications. (click on the numbers of neutral and negative feedback received, to read only those comments).
  • Responses to non positive feedback written by someone whose first language does not appear to be English.

It may take a little time to use the above lists, but in the long run can save time and possibly money. It becomes second nature after awhile.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

If the listing shows a U.S. item location, but the seller actually ships from another country, you can open a Return case before it even arrives to you, for "Item location misrepresentation" under "not as described".

If you have tracking showing it's coming from another country, eBay will refund you in full without requiring a return.

As always, excellent advice.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Well, previously, if a seller was physically outside the US, that would show up in their about info on eBay.  No longer, and I do not yet know what eBay has done, what rules they changed, to allow a seller to claim they are in the US when they are physically in China.  .  .  Very disappointing as I was previously able to avoid a Chinese seller by looking at they location in the about info.   Not any more.   This item will probably be deleted by the seller by the time anyone reads this     That listing states the item is in NY and they seller,  is in the US.  Neither is true.  In messages they stated the item is coming from China and they only respond when it is night in the US.  .  .  as Chinese sellers do.  .  .

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply