cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So this is an "activation lock" issue with a bit of a twist...

I purchased an apple watch ultra January 2023.  I received the watch and immediately on attempts to pair, received a request for security code.  I had asked the buyer previously to remove the device from their iCloud account.  They had said they would.  They did provide a security code that worked and I paired the watch to my iPhone.  All good.  So then I got a new iPhone last week.  It's been 9 months since watch purchase.  I had to reset the Apple Watch to connect to my new iPhone (well maybe I didn't but I ended up doing that) and then on attempted pairing it tells me the watch is activation locked to an iCloud account that is not mine.  I contacted the buyer.  No response for 4-5 days.  Then they responded and asked what needed to be done.  I gave simple screen shot of the very simple instructions from Apple on how to disconnect a device from your iCloud account.  They responded with a thumbs up.  A week later and still no action.  I have messaged several times asking what is going on and still no response.  Is there any way to place additional pressure on the buyer or am I just screwed (since I'm out of the return window) if they choose never to respond??  In retrospect, I'm quite annoyed with myself.  I should have fully reset the watch initially and refused to keep the device unless they immediately rest the account.  I don't know how someone could obtain a passcode and not have access to the iCloud account, but I guess it's possible if you stole it from someone at work or someone you knew...  Anyway, pretty frustrated and makes me very bitter about buying any used electronics when you run into this garbage.  (I was also scammed on some airpod pros a bit ago.  Not $700 loss but still left me very bitter about the whole second hand high end electronics arena.)

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I do understand. I would contact Apple Support. It won’t hurt. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Unless you buy from a factory Apple dealer,  you never really own it or have clear title.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I am rather lucky living in a city with a number of Apple Stores. Nice thing about getting help for an Apple product in an Apple Store...it is free! Just walk in a make an appointment. Doesn't matter where you got the item or how old it is or there is no receipt for it.

this way you will know if it needs to be returned to buyer ASAP. 

No returns does not mean no returns. You have 30 days to return from day of receiving it or estimated day of delivery from ebay buyer on item paid.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I agree, second hand phones and other devices are a risky buy to save some coin. If I can afford it, I am walking into a store and buying new. 

Posting ID
Message 5 of 5
latest reply