cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we forget about shopping in the US?

Recently, delivery prices from the USA to Europe and Asia have doubled. Previously, we paid less than $30 for delivery, but now it costs at least $90. Additionally, for sellers in the US, this eBay shipping method is absolutely free. Where is the fairness for the buyer in this?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

"Additionally, for sellers in the US, this eBay shipping method is absolutely free. "

Yeah, it's free for sellers to use the ebay international program, but you realize it costs the program something to ship the items from the u.s. warehouse/processing center? 

As for the costs doubling, can't speak to this and I haven't noticed any change in cost for shipping stuff into the u.s. from outside via the program.

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

@radiolips,

Yes international shipping costs have gone up due to several factors.  In your country's case, currently airlines have reduced the number of flights into the area, meaning less space for carrying packages, which raises prices and slows delivery time frames.  Added into those costs may be import fees or VATs charged by your government.

"Additionally, for sellers in the US, this eBay shipping method is absolutely free".

If you mean that you see Free Shipping for U.S. buyers who buy items located in the U.S..  There is no such thing. The price of the item is raised to cover the domestic shipping cost. Not only that but the cost of domestic shipping within the U.S. has nearly doubled in the last couple of years.  I suggest that you do a little reading about the economics of international shipping. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 40
latest reply

In this case, sellers should consider buyers' preferences and use the standard American postal service, which has stood the test of time and is significantly cheaper than shipping from eBay, which often provides a peculiar 16-18 digit tracking number without proper parcel tracking capabilities.

Thank you everyone for your responses!
Message 4 of 40
latest reply

Can you explain your statement that it's free for sellers to use the eBay international program?

Anything that is shipped anywhere by anyone incurs a shipping cost.  Many sellers list with "Free Shipping" which simply means that I, as the seller, listing an item at $30 with free shipping, have sold a $20 item with $10 shipping.

In other words, shipping is not ever free because someone, whether it be the buyer or the seller, is paying  the shipping cost.  

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

Also, a reminder:  in general, shipping from anywhere to anywhere, with just about any shipper, is calculated on the item weight, size, shipping class and distance traveled.  Yes, USPS shipping prices have gone up as have other carriers.  They are paying more for gas just like the rest of us.  And their employees are being paid more also.  

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

@radiolips,

To track ebays international tracking number use the link below, and save it for future reference.

FYI, one way or another buyers will always pay the shipping cost.  If you click on the Shipping, Returns & Payments tab on a listing page, it should tell you what international service will be used. You can add your country to the box, to get rates based on the seller's shipping preference.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 40
latest reply

@radiolips wrote:

In this case, sellers should consider buyers' preferences and use the standard American postal service, which has stood the test of time and is significantly cheaper than shipping from eBay, which often provides a peculiar 16-18 digit tracking number without proper parcel tracking capabilities.

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Sellers could do that, but then they wouldn't have any protection from Ebay, like they do with Ebay International.

The way things are over there, don't know many that would take a chance shipping there if it wasn't for EIS.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 40
latest reply

I cannot affirm for all sellers, but at least with those from whom I make purchases and have doubts about their reliability based on reviews, I request a postal receipt as proof that the package was sent to the recipient. Some of these receipts from Canada:

1000044038.jpg

but from US shipments with eBay delivery, is similar.

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

Would online tracking information not offer the same information? 

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

That doesn't show what the shipping cost was, but I know shipping is not free.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 40
latest reply

Sometimes it's so confusing that I don't know what to tell. The tracking number on the receipt is meant for internal use, whereas the eBay tracking number is for international shipments. With numerous logistic centers and transit through multiple countries via USPS, parcels often arrive unexpectedly without any updates on the tracking number, except for the infamous eBay info: "tracking number provided".

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

It's not just international. Shipping from the west coast to the east coast in the continental U.S. has skyrocketed, thanks to U.S.P.S. Ground Advantage, which is literally 1st class rates for 3rd class service. 

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

Shipping prices keep going up for all shipping.  It's a problem for both buyers and sellers.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

When Ebay changed for Ebay Global Shipping to Ebay International Shipping my whiny messages from International Buyers decreased dramatically, and my International Sales increased. Interpret that as you may.

I will not ship internationally with the Postal Service or any other carrier. I will not learn the customs regulations for the entire world, will not do customs declarations, and will not try to figure out which countries will do end to end tracking and which do not.

If the price of the item including EIS is too high for your preference or budget, feel free to not buy from me. I do not need any customers who are unhappy before they receive their item(s).

Message 15 of 40
latest reply