cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I report a false positive review to ebay?

I have bought a lot of cards on eBay and it's almost always a positive experience. There are lots of ways to mail trading cards and I have seen some sketchy packaging, but the cards are usually ok.

This past week I got a cheap (<$20 after shipping) lot of cards, and the package arrived literally falling apart. It was a thin cardbord box with a few pieces of tape holding it together, and inside the cards were sealed in an airtight bag. The cards inside were more bent than any other cards I've received. They also had water damage despite being in the airtight bag.

I didn't want to immediately leave bad feedback or even try to return them. It's busy season at work and not worth the hassle for such a small amount of money. I sent a message to the seller with pictures of the damaged package and cards, only saying "Hi, the cards arrived today. The box was a mess and all the cards are super damaged. It looks like water damage to a bunch of them too."

The seller's only response was to contact eBay directly. I couldn't figure out any way other than a refund request, and the website specifically said "this seller doesn't accept returns." I included more pictures/angles of the damaged package and cards, and a message "The package arrived in terrible condition. The auction described the cards as well-loved and in great condition, but the cards were extremely bent and many had long term water damage. The bag was air tight sealed, so the water damage was pre-existing. Bending and other wear could be pre-existing or from shipping."

The seller's response in the refund request was to reiterate that they don't do refunds or exchanges, that well loved means used, and that they're sorry but they can't help what the post office does.

Again, it's busy season at work and its a small amount of money, so I just said I don't want to argue over $20 and cancelled the request. At this point is seemed justified to leave a bad review, since I had a bad experience with 1) the condition of the cards (pre-existing water damage) 2) the shipping (very light packaging that didn't survive the journey) and 3) the behavior of the seller (I even tried to just talk to them before doing anything that affects their record).

In retaliation, the seller left me a very negative "sellers beware" positive review for me. I was reading up on it, and I guess this is very much against eBay's rules and I could report them to have it removed.

My question here is, should I bother doing that? I guess it's not a big deal since I typically don't use "Offers" when buying. Maybe it would hurt me if I ever try selling. And I feel bad if I not only tank their rating but also get them directly in trouble with eBay. Not sure if I am being the bad person here.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @jacriv_67 

I definitely would contact eBay to have the prohibited feedback removed.

I'd also like to give you unasked for advice about how to contact sellers when you have a problem with an order:  Don't be coy.  Describe the problem and let the seller know your preference for a solution.  [This is especially important for a new seller, who I would assume is not familiar with eBay policy.  It seems you might have been hinting for a partial refund ... without saying so.]

I probably wouldn't have left negative feedback for 500 cards I won for $10.99 + shipping ... especially if I wasn't willing to return them.  Many sellers would have refused to ship them at the Starting Bid.  [Neutral would have been sufficient.]

Since you've already done the worst damage with the feedback ... there's no point in trying to ameliorate the problem by leaving prohibited feedback on your profile.  If you feel really bad about the feedback ... you can offer to revise it to Neutral and ask the seller to send you a Feedback Revision Request.  

Anyway, that's my opinion.  You're definitely NOT the 'bad guy'.  Have a great day!  😊

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

If it was my account I would get it removed. Up to you, it's your account.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@jacriv_67 

Sellers are not permitted to leave negative feedback for buyers.  Period.

Even though this seller has stated "no refunds," you can still open a case against the seller for a "not as described" sale, since the term "well-loved" seems purposely vague, plus the unlisted pre-existing water damage.

Just go to your "Purchase" page -- on the right side of your screen is a series of blue-boxes.  

Click on "More actions," then "Return this item."

You'll be sent to another screen, where you should click "Doesn't match description or photos."  Then just follow the instructions.

Your seller will probably dispute this case, in which case you should request eBay to escalate -- and you will almost be guaranteed to win.  The seller will be forced to send you a pre-paid shipping label, and also be forced to refund you entirely.

It is also possible (if the seller disputes your case) that eBay will refund you from the seller's account, and you may not even have to return the cards.  Plus the seller receives a defect against their account.

And the negative feedback against you should also disappear.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Yes, report the feedback and let the seller get hit with a policy violation.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I couldn't figure out any way other than a refund request, and the website specifically said "this seller doesn't accept returns."

No Returns means the seller does not want to see the product ever again.

It does NOT mean No Refunds.

If less than 30 days since arrival, open the Not As Described claim and get your refund.

If that deadline has passed, open a chargeback with the credit card you bought with, and get your refund.

It will take less time than writing your post did, and you end up with money.

Sellers like that make other sellers, like me, very very annoyed.

No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Hi @jacriv_67 

I definitely would contact eBay to have the prohibited feedback removed.

I'd also like to give you unasked for advice about how to contact sellers when you have a problem with an order:  Don't be coy.  Describe the problem and let the seller know your preference for a solution.  [This is especially important for a new seller, who I would assume is not familiar with eBay policy.  It seems you might have been hinting for a partial refund ... without saying so.]

I probably wouldn't have left negative feedback for 500 cards I won for $10.99 + shipping ... especially if I wasn't willing to return them.  Many sellers would have refused to ship them at the Starting Bid.  [Neutral would have been sufficient.]

Since you've already done the worst damage with the feedback ... there's no point in trying to ameliorate the problem by leaving prohibited feedback on your profile.  If you feel really bad about the feedback ... you can offer to revise it to Neutral and ask the seller to send you a Feedback Revision Request.  

Anyway, that's my opinion.  You're definitely NOT the 'bad guy'.  Have a great day!  😊

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@house*of*paws 

Thank you for the excellent advice. I will try to be better in the future about being more direct.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Your very welcome @jacriv_67 .  Don't waste a moment feeling bad about your response to the problem.  You are still fairly new yourself.  I've learned the most about eBay by reading Q&A's on these Boards ... and am still learning new stuff every day.  It's also fun.  😉

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@jacriv_67,

I'm surprised no one has given you the link to report the seller yet. So here it is.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/report-issue-seller?id=4022

On the first page use the blue Report seller button.

Next page select seller has violated an ebay policy > Continue

Next Pg. enter the seller's username, select Other, then in the text box write:

"The seller refused a return request for not as described items, even though I provided them with photos.  Then they left me a negative feedback comment with a positive rating, which I would like to get removed".  

You also have the ability to reply to the seller's feedback by opening your feedback profile page scrolling to the bottom where you will see:

mudshark61369_1-1711711567964.png

You can reply to the feedback you received, and follow up on the feedback you left.  I would wait to reply if you report the seller because the feedback will be gone. However, you can follow up to the feedback you left.  Do stick to the facts, do not call the seller names. I'd write:  "Not only did the seller refuse a return of the mis-described cards, 3 photos does not tell the condition story of 500 cards, they also violated ebay's feedback policy leaving me a negative comment, which I will try to get removed". 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

It seems like, being new, you may not have understood your options as a buyer.

You had 30 days to open an item not as described case with eBay, although, from your description, this could possibly have happened while the item was in transit?

A seller can say "no returns", but eBay's Money Back Guarantee overrides that.  Please read it.

You can get that FB removed.

May I respectfully suggest that you re-read  the MBG? Why be out ANY amount of money when eBay offers a solution to the issue?  

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

It seems like, being new, you may not have understood your options as a buyer.

You had 30 days to open an item not as described case with eBay, although, from your description, this could possibly have happened while the item was in transit?

A seller can say "no returns", but eBay's Money Back Guarantee overrides that.  Please read it.

You can get that FB removed.

May I respectfully suggest that you re-read  the MBG? Why be out ANY amount of money when eBay offers a solution to the issue?  

If the seller offered no returns then buyer only has 3 days after date they received cards. If seller offers returns then buyer follows whatever seller chose for return. Trading Cards have different rules than other categories (for what reason I do wonder).

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi @mudshark61369 

I reported the Seller on March 28th (one week ago) and got a message that eBay will "look into it and won't tell me what they decide."

I'm guessing by the fact that the negative feedback is still there, eBay won't be removing it. Maybe they have changed their policy? Or does it take eBay a long time to remove feedback abuse?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply