cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller will not honor warranty

I bought a cordless tool item with a 5-year warranty.  I only used the item once and stored it.  8 months later, I needed it again, and when I tried to use it, it did not work.  I contacted the seller about the warranty, and they responded and asked for the order number.  I provided it to them, and they never responded.  I waited a week before sending them another email, which they never responded to.  I waited another week and tried again.  Of course, no response. It is clear that they are ignoring me because they do not want to honor the warranty.

Now, I know eBay only has a 30-day policy, and Paypal, a 180 policy.  So there is no need to cover these.  But, the item had a 5-year warranty.  I know eBay is not responsible for honoring the seller's warranty, but eBay should have some way for buyers to do something to sellers that sell through eBay that offer warranties that refuse to honor.  I mean, if there is no resource to get at this seller, then eBay should not allow sellers to offer any warranties longer than 30 days on their site, because anything past that is just a joke. 

What can I do?  I can't even find where to leave this seller feedback. I used to be able to pull the real contact information of a seller years ago, and even that seems to have disappeared.  It seems eBay is more interested in protecting sellers than buyers. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Most warranties are provided by the manufacturer.

Most sellers are not manufacturers reps. Since the warrantee is issued by the manufacture, the manufacturer would be the one to contact.

Good luck because unless the seller is a representative, there is a 95% chance the manufacture will not honor the warranty. 

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Most warranties are provided by the manufacturer.

Most sellers are not manufacturers reps. Since the warrantee is issued by the manufacture, the manufacturer would be the one to contact.

Good luck because unless the seller is a representative, there is a 95% chance the manufacture will not honor the warranty. 

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Hi @jungle_explorer

I'm so sorry this happened.  I don't know of anything that can be done when a seller refuses to honor a warranty that they had in the listing.   [I personally would not rely on any warranty for an item I purchased online unless it was a site like Best Buy or something similar.]

As you've already stated ... you've passed both PayPal's and eBay's deadlines for filing a case.  You MAY be able to have your credit card company help you ... but that's all I can think of.  

PERHAPS ... you might be able to 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the comments.  I asked the seller if they were the one offering the warranty, or if it was someone else, and they never responded to me, so I just assumed that they were ignoring me, because they did not want to honor it.  After reading klhmdg's comment, I went on a search for the manufacturer and eventually found their website. After searching all over, I can find no information about how to claim their warranty, and all evidence I can find from doing Google searches suggests they will not honor it anyway. 

Guess this is what I get for buying Chinese products.  It is just sad to me that in this modern world, things are still so untrustworthy that a company can offer a warranty knowing that they do not ever have to honor it, and these big selling sites like eBay take a Hands Off approach and let these kinds of sellers continue to abuse people that sell through their site.

There is no honor and integrity in the world anymore.  And no, I am not saying that as a buyer.  I am saying that as a former eBay seller that sold THOUSANDS of live fertile chicken catching Eggs through eBay for two years and never got a single negative feedback.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

If a warranty is offered that's a true warranty and not something the seller copied off the box  eBay policy says the full written text has to be in the description or a link to it.  The full written policy would have details how to obtain the warranty when it's needed. Most warranties require you to register the warranty on the manufacturer's website. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Guess this is what I get for buying Chinese products.

@jungle_explorer 

Live and learn and all. Hang in there...

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

If I buy the item from them and they are representing it as new with a one year warranty they should honor that warranty.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

You’re violating Community policy with your ‘name and shame’ suggestion.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply